Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jul 11, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Washing Machine Water In Sink
    Hi guys,

I thought I'd draw a diagram of my problem as well as describing it! (Busy at work as usual! :D )

So, here is the setup;

As you can see (hopefully), my washing machine drains into the outlet pipe of our kitchen sink. The snag is, water and bubbles come back up into the sink when the washing machine empties.

I took the pipes apart under the sink, but there's no blockage (the sink drains fine).

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Is it just a bad setup? :confused:
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 11, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Yes, that is a bad setup!

Especially if you are using a conventional, top-loading, high-capacity washer... those things put out a lot of water. That diagram looks like a front-loader though. (ahh you're in the UK. Probably frontloader then!)

Anyhow, there is also a minimum height that the outlet hose has to be, which will vary by washer type and design. Conventional toploaders usually don't even have a valve on the outflow, just a pump. So if the hose is lower than the water level in the machine, the water will come out when it's not supposed to.

Check your washer manual or documents, if you don't have them you can probably find them online... I'll help if you need it.

In any case, I would personally install a separate 2" drain for the washer. You may get away with 1.5" (depends on the DFU of the washer, and the code you're under), but 2" would be a lot better. IF you have to attach it to the same horizontal branch that the sink uses, make sure you use a Wye (not sanitary T) and point it in the right direction. The washer drain must have it's own trap, and remember that the trap will slow the flow, so you need to have plenty of pipe ABOVE the trap to prevent exactly the same thing happening, just without the sink to catch the mess! Washer drain should also be vented, just like any other.

Upon further reflection, I really don't know what I'm talking about.. you'd better verify any/all of this with someone more experienced, I am NOT a plumber, nor do I play one on TV.
    adlowe Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Concur that it's a bad setup. What's happening is that the washer is discharging faster than the pipe can take it; since the sink allows an "outlet" for the building pressure that's where the "extra water" goes. But that's about as far as my expertise can take it.
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Well, it's only bad because it's the kitchen sink... this is one the things that laundry tubs are expressly designed to do, take on a high volume of water rapidly, buffer it and let it drain at the rate the pipes can handle..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into sink! [ 2 Answers ]

When I run my waher, the kitchen sink fills up with soapy water! It does not overflow but almost! My washer is obviously not draining correctly! Please help!

Water backing up from washing machine into kutchen sink [ 8 Answers ]

Last night, while the washing machine was on its rinse cycle, water began backing up through both sides of the kitchen sink.. The water was gray/ black.

Washing machine discharge goes into sink [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a raised ranch. The toilet and shower are backed up to the laundry room. The sink and the washer use the same discharge pipe. When the washer drains, the water backflows into the sink and out onto the bathroom floor. The plumber has been here twice and installed a vent in the pipe but it...

Washing machine overflows into sink (and over) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a house that is more than 100 years old. Our washing machine is in the basement. About 30 feet over, we have a half bath. Whenever we run a large load, water drains out of the washing machine OK, but backs up into the bathroom sink, and eventually over the counter and onto the...

Washing Machine backiong up into utility sink [ 6 Answers ]

:( Hi there! When we bought our house 3 years ago, I noticed that the sink would fill up with water when ever our washing machine drained... I just thought it was normal. :p But now I guess the clog has gotten so bad that yesterday when I did laundry the sink over flowed! :eek: The sink has...

View more questions Search