Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    depressedhelp Posts: 91, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Will a diary calm my life?/
    Do diaries help you relax and let someone know about your feelings without telling anoyone.. should I start one? Because my life isn't perfect it kind of sucks acutally I know some people have worse but will a diary help me??
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Writing it down always helps. When you are happy or sad, it helps to express those feelings. Sometimes when I write my "junk" down I keep going and going and did not even know I really felt like that, sometimes I see myself as selfish, or bratty, or really giving. It helps to write it all down. I hope that you do.
    vball43 Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Jul 10, 2007, 06:15 PM
    No they just give you hand cramps. Unless your really interesting. Then if you write 1 someone might make a movie about it when you die. JK! I don't think so unless your passion is writing. If not let your emotion show through what you love to do. Unless your a model or something jk.
    kristynn Posts: 502, Reputation: 66

Jul 10, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Why not make an appointment with a counselor or a psychologist? It's their job to help people deal with such issues. It's confidential and they're usually very nice people and helpful, too!

A diary might help, but I cannot tell for sure; I've never kept one myself.

If you're depressed, a diary won't teach you how to deal with depression; psychologists do.

Good luck! :)

Jul 10, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kristynn
    Why not make an appointment with a counselor or a psychologist? It's their job to help people deal with such issues. It's confidential and they're usually very nice people and helpful, too!

A diary might help, but I cannot tell for sure; I've never kept one myself.

If you're depressed, a diary won't teach you how to deal with depression; psychologists do.

Good luck! :)
    Thanks for the addvise but I'm not depressed but I just need to 'talk' to 'someone' about my life and the diary seams perfect and I've studied psychology and I want to be one someday but thanks everyone that's giving their own advise:D
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 07:47 PM
    I tell you what, just let this be a way to let it out. If you are saying you don't want therapy, a journal would be great but I talk on here and it helps... So go ahead. We will listen, doesn't have to be anything in particular. I will start... I have four kids and they drive me nuts, I love them but they can really get to me. My husband is a wonderful man but hard headed. Hope you can start with something simple you can get to the stuff that really bothers you in time!
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 08:09 PM
    For me a diary has always helped. It's my place to vent! When your hand hits the paper all of those emotions flow out and stick to it. What's best is that you can go back to your writings in the future and refer to them. It is a completely wonderful way to release stress, feelings, heartaches, happiness! I highly recommend it. You don't have to write all pretty either or spell things right... just scratch it down!
    Lolitah_xx Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Jul 10, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Alott of people say that they do but for me they don't.. just try it and see because everyone is different and personally I'd rather say it then write it but sometimes writing it helps because after time goes by I can look back and see how much something meant to me at the time and I realize how much I've grown
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Jul 10, 2007, 09:44 PM
    Again... talking with Jesus will help, that is if you believe in him. Do you??

Jul 10, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by METERRE
    Again....talking with Jesus will help, that is if you believe in him. Do you???
    Yes, I do lol
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 12:23 AM
    This goes against the general consensus but I actually found a diary was counter productive. It made me dwell on bad situations. So if you write down bad angry things I suggest you burn them afterwards and only keep the good thoughts in your diary.

I always preferred scrapbooks of good times - tickets form events, photos of friends, things I found which made me laugh, cool artwork. It is easy to flick through for a visual 'up.' Also I can't get embarrassed by my terrible spelling and melodramatic writing style. I have to tone it down so much on this site. Woe is me.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 12:50 AM
    In my opinion and experience, I think that keeping and maintaining a diary can be a very beneficial thing to a person.

I'm going to apologize about my post ahead of time. If you take the time to read what I have to say, God Bless You! If you choose not to, then that is okay too! God Bless You, also! I just got myself on a kick about the original question. As you can see, I am writing down my thoughts and it is helping me, because I think that this is an important topic to be discussed. And hopefully, depressedhelp will see how my doing something like I am doing right now might be of benefit to her if she were to do the same thing on a daily basis. When I was her age, I couldn't even write a simple letter to someone without taking forever at doing it. Most of the time, I didn't bother to do it because it was so hard for me. Even when I did accomplish writing something of a note, I still didn't think that I had written enough and it was very hard for me to write anything else. But, with practice, I am now able to write what I think with relative ease.

I am trying to address depressedhelp's question, but at the same time, in my opinion, writing things down is something that deserves and warrants a deeper study. I do think that putting things in writing can be very beneficial to the person who chooses to do that. I could see where it could also be a bane to a person who writes things down, if writing their thoughts down causes them to become more angry about some things. Maybe, they are the type of person who just needs to walk away from a situation and try to forget it and work things out by doing some other activity to try and work things through for themselves.

Each to their own concerning writing things down. It depends on you as a person as to whether it will help you to put things in writing about the things that concern you, good or bad. I think that there is a little of the "born writer" in all of us. Some of us just aren't very good at writing yet because we have not practiced doing such a thing. So, we may be a "born talker" or "born to keep our thoughts to ourselves, but wish that someone would be able to read and care about our thoughts" in the meantime. All of us, deep down inside, have a story to tell that we would like others to share in with us. We want people to listen to us, to like or love us as persons. Reaching out in some way, be it in writing or verbally, I would think is a basic human need that we all have. "No man is an island."

I find that when I write things down about the concerns and joys in my life that I am thinking about, that I can then go to sleep at night realizing that I have done the best that I can for that day; am much more able to put my thoughts to rest and not have to dwell on those things after having written them down, since I am a very obsessive/compulsive type of person, And, can then get a good night's sleep because I know that what I have written down will still be there for my review later if I wish to review it, and I don't have to worry about forgetting about those things because I have put them in writing.

Scrap-booking is good! It does take a lot of organizing to keep up with such a thing as that. But, with practice, you just get into a routine and make it a habit.

Someday, your children may want to know about the things in your life - the good or the bad. You may not be able to remember everything about your life so that you will be able to tell them. Writing things down in a journal or diary can be a big help to your children in the future. Writing things down is not something that you just do for yourself, it is something that you do for the benefit of others, if we look at the far-reaching effects of doing such a thing.

One of the things that I do for a living is that I am a professional musician. I travel around the upper Midwest in the U.S. playing gigs in all sorts of places with other professional musicians like myself. The stories of things that have happened in these other people's lives is just incredible! When we are riding on a band bus together, sometimes people will just start sharing things about what they believe concerning life or the concerns in their lives, that usually have nothing to do with music.

Frequently, I will be asking questions about another person's early history as to how they came about doing this or that. After they have finished their usually very interesting story, I will ask them, "Have you told your children about this?" The usual answer is "No." I then encourage them to write these things down so that their children can know about these things and so these stories can hopefully then be passed down from generation to generation as part of the family history.

You never know when something that you have written down will be a help to others as well as being a help to yourself.

Okay, that's enough Clough! I hope that I didn't bore anyone here who bothered to read this. Just my thoughts and opinions. I hope that they were helpful.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
    I was not bored at all and I wish you would come the West Coast to play. I would love to get to see you perform! Also, thanks, because I thought I wasn't a writter also, it just started to come out and boy did that feel good. I learned things by looking at what I was writing down. I learned who I was and from there, I have begun to twist a few things so I could be a better person. Thanks again Clough! Hmmmmm, you got soul baby! Everyone does, we just need to let it out. Through your music, through our writing, anything!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calm down my dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2yr old dog who is very hyper. Every time I let her out she squeaks, and runs down the stairs and on my way down the stairs she runs back up and jumps all over me till I let her out the door. She does this every time I let her out.

I shouldn't have read her diary, but I did.and now I'm messed in the head! [ 4 Answers ]

I've been seeing this girl for a month or so now and we have a great connection. We've started sleeping over at each others' places and things are going well. Only thing is that she isn't completely over her ex-bf of 3 years. They split about a year ago but she's still having issues getting over...

Paranoid father, how do I get him to calm down? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been friends with this girl for over a year, and I finally asked her to date me in January. Her father and I had become really good friends during the time we were hanging out, but as soon as I started dating his daughter, he flipped out and basically hates me now. He limited us to holding...

His and Her diary entry [ 1 Answers ]

HER DIARY: > > Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird. We had Made plans to meetat a bar to have a drink. I was shopping with my Friends all day long, so Ithought he was upset at the fact that I was a Bit Late, but he made no comment on it. Conversation wasn't flowing, so I ...

Bridget Jones's Diary 2 [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know when Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge Of Reason, is suppose to come out?

View more questions Search