Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patriciardg Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Air Conditioner Loud Noise
    My air conditioner just started making a loud banging noise. I have central air and the noise is coming from inside the house where the A coil is located. There is a lot of water under the coil. I turned it off. What do you think may be causing the noise? Actually, I just turned it back on and it sounds more like a loud grinding noise.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Sounds like it may have iced up, some of the ice may have dropped into the furnace or air handler and the fan hitting it.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 08:13 PM
    The reasons for an air conditioning unit to freeze up are many, lack of air flow (dirty filter) belt slipping, registers closed in house, low on refrigerant and also if the thermostat is set to low (below 70) if can freeze up, only the last will solve itself if turned off for a while. I hope this is helpful. Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Blower/Air Handler motor noise. Loud humming. [ 2 Answers ]

We have ~ 1991 Carrier 58sx high efficiency condensing furnace and central AC. Now the air handler is making a loud humming/vibration noise when the fan kicks in (the blower motor for the air handler makes the noise, not the gas furnace/exhaust blower). The serious electrical humm is loudest when...

New A/C loud wind noise velocity on air return [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a vacation home on Eleuthera in the Bahamas (very pretty and very hot). The house is 1000 square feet inside with an exposed beam cathedral ceiling in the main room and 10 foot ceilings in the two bedrooms and a small hallway that connects all three rooms. The Bahamian builder put...

Heater loud noise when shuts down, cold air returns are whistling [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved to a new home that is about 3500 square feet and has a basement. I know part of it, is just getting used to the new sounds. However, our heater, when it shuts off, makes a huge 'BOOM' sound! Is that just the way it goes? Also, after the heater shuts off... the fan must still be...

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search