Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iconworker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Received 10 day summons.how to respond?
    I received a summons and am required to file an answer in writing. Is there a special form that I need or do I just write a formal letter? Also... do I have to pay the amount that they are asking? (Way more than I can afford and also, I feel that it is a ridiculous amount it is way more than what I originally owe) I also called the agency and they refused to negotiate. What do I do from here? The amount owed is approximately 600.00, but they were 1200.00 (I'm assuming court costs and such)

Is there anything I can use in my defense since I am a single mother of two children and I can barely pay my rent and utility costs... Any suggestioins you have would be extremely helpful!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:55 AM
    I am sure that others will have their adivice on this.

My advice would be to call a legal aid office to see about getting some legal help and representation for little or no cost. Also, I would recommend not speaking with anyone concerning this unless you have a witness present, either on the other phone line or in person with you. Document everything - phone calls, correspondence, etc. - times, dates, everything that is said or done. Cover the bases and then present what you have to an attorney who will help you.

Those are my suggestions, anyway.

It would help in knowing where you live in order to give you more helpful advice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iconworker
    Is there anything I can use in my defense since I am a single mother of two children and I can barely pay my rent and utility costs....Any suggestioins you have would be extremely helpful!!
    Hello icon:

Nahhh. The fact that you can't pay isn't a defense for NOT paying. IF you owe it, they're going to win. And, they're even going to win more than $1,200. Then with a judgment, they'll garnish your wages and seize your bank accounts. I don't think you want them to do that.

However, I don't believe they refuse to negotiate. They want their money. Maybe they refuse to negotiate a deal YOU want... Well, now that you know the parameters, you might want to call them up again.

excon
    iconworker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 05:24 PM
    THanks for your replys and to answer them..

First I live in Utah and I was also wondering can they sue you for damages and principal as well?

I contacted the law office and the lady who answered said that no one would speak with me... just her and the paralegal and she asked if I would like to set something up to garnish my wages. I asked if amount owed could be lowered she said no and that I would probably pay more if I go to court... THey want interests, lawyer fees, courts costs, principal and damages and any other amount that the court should see fit.

I am going to answer the summons but will wait to contact a lawyer once the complaint is filed...
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iconworker
    THanks for your replys and to answer them..

first I live in Utah and I was also wondering can they sue you for damages and principal as well?

I contacted the law office and the lady who answered said that no one would speak with me...just her and the paralegal and she asked if I would like to set something up to garnish my wages. I asked if amount owed could be lowered she said no and that I would probably pay more if I go to court....THey want interests, lawyer fees, courts costs, principal and damages and any other amount that the court should see fit.

I am going to answer the summons but will wait to contact a lawyer once the complaint is filed....

File notice of Intend to Defend NOW, if you don't they will obtain default judgment against yo, than all deals are off.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Icon when you send your letter it needs to be certified. Then you will need to take a copy of the letter you sent to the clerk. I this should be within 30 days of receiving your summons.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:03 PM
    A formal letter should suffice. You may also want to fill out a financial affidavit. This is a standard form and should be available on-line. When you write the letter, be sure to mention that they were unwilling to negotiate a settlement with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any Ideas on how to Respond to Summons? [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings to all in Debtland, I am confused as to how to respond to creditors/collection agencies/lawyers - I feel like they are closing in on me. I have 2 weeks to respond to a summons from a lawyer representing Discover Card. I haven't responded yet because I've been doing research to find...

Received a Summons [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a summons by certified mail. It was from an attorney representing Applied Card Bank. This debt is from 2001. I never had any dealing with this bank, but I believe it was formerly Cross Country Bank. My question is. The summons has no account number or any information about this...

Served a summons? Documents to respond? [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently served a summons for credit card debt and plan to respond myself. Is there any type of document that is already formatted that I can put my own information on to help me?

How do I respond to the summons I just got served? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've received a summons 2 weeks ago from a law firm representing CACH in Colorado (Melissa A Ferris, Orlando) esquire. In doing the follow up research I've checked the cleark of county court website and there is indeed a suit. Also I called the CC company and they gave me the date they sold...

Not received [ 3 Answers ]

:( I am wondering what I can do about one company I worked for for three months during 05 They have not sent me my w2 yet I have called them every day for the last two weeks and they keep saying they don't know what they did with it Is there someplace I can turn them into that will help...

View more questions Search