Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fcandreasson Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2007, 04:31 PM
    How to Connect PVC to Concrete in Sewer Pipes
    Hi!

I am experiencing slow drainage in my main sewer and a plummer told me there are roots in the system.
    I dug a trench to locate the main sewer, which I found.

It consists of 2 feet of 4" cast iron pipe that is then connected to concrete like pipes that are about 5.5 inches thick in diameter and about 3 feet a piece. At each connection, several roots enter the poor connections. I intend on replacing about 15 feet of the concrete pipe with PVC from the Cast Iron and then I have to connect the PVC with the concrete where there are no more roots.

How do I connect the 4 inch PVC into the Concrete pipe?

How do I cut concrete pipe?

I have figured out the Cast Iron to PVC - will connect using No-Hub Clamps, and I will use a Snap Cutter for the CI.

Thanks for any advice.
    Pictures are
    Attached Images

scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 10, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fcandreasson
    Hi!

I am experiencing slow drainage in my main sewer and a plummer told me there are roots in the system.
    I dug a trench to locate the main sewer, which I found.

It consists of 2 feet of 4" cast iron pipe that is then connected to concrete like pipes that are about 5.5 inches thick in diameter and about 3 feet a piece. At each connection, several roots enter the poor connections. I intend on replacing about 15 feet of the concrete pipe with PVC from the Cast Iron and then I have to connect the PVC with the concrete where there are no more roots.

How do I connect the 4 inch PVC into the Concrete pipe?

How do I cut concrete pipe?

I have figured out the Cast Iron to PVC - will connect using No-Hub Clamps, and I will use a Snap Cutter for the CI.

Thanks for any advice.
    Pictures are
    I would suggest that you NOT use a snap cutter on old CI pipe in the trench..

See this thread for my recent saga, wherein I shattered the CI pipe:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...pe-107834.html

Instead, use a diamond blade in a grinder. Even buying a cheap grinder and the blade shouldn't run you much more than a day's rental on a snap cutter. Bonus is that the blade will cut just about anything, including concrete. Since you only have one cut to make on the concrete, you probably won't need to rent a large gas-powered cutoff saw, but they're available and work well outside.

For the connection, you could use an offset coupling: Fernco, Inc.

I don't know if this is rated for burial though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher Direct Connect To Sewer [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for advice like the other two postings on installing a Dishwasher that is not geographically proximal to the sink. My difference is that I am going to install a new run with a P-trap and an AAV. My configuration is: -The AAV 10” downstream of the trap. The AAV rises approx 14”...

Connect male copper to female PVC/plastic [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how to connect and seal a male copper pipe (from bathtub drain) to a female PVC coupling (to drain/sewer). The plumber that repaired the original, cracked coupling used a blue 'putty' to seal the M to F connection, but I used Drano to clear a clog and I think it ruined the...

PVC to Copper Pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a newly constructed condo, and it is a construction mess. One of the problems is that the whirlpool tub leaks heavy. The building is sittuated above a subterrainian gargae and the plumbing is visible in the ceiling of the garage. I am able to see the water from my tub,...

Connect pvc to cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to connect new PVC drain pipe to old Cast Iron drain pipe?

Abs pvc pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm redesigning my bathroom, and noticed that I have ABS pipes. The home depot don't sell any ABS supplies, but I was told that I could use the PVC instead. The guy over at Home depot seemed not to know much about plumbing. My question would be if I connect ABS with PVC is there any issues, or any...

View more questions Search