Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Pig's ears are they okay?
    This may sound silly but I was wondering if pig's ears are okay for dogs to chew on. My husband always brings some home for our two little dogs and they just go to town on these things and practically eat them. Could this be harmful for them?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 04:07 PM
    My dog never had a problem with them, although they are a once in a while type treat... or else you will have a piggy puppy.. lol.. they are very fattening.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Great lol they get one like once a week! One of our dogs only weighs 3lbs... now anyway! I will have to go on piggy ear patrol for a while!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 05:03 PM
    NO! They are on the forbidden list from the dog guide school. They are much like rawhide. Don't take the word of one person with only experience with a very limited number of dogs. Those with experience with thousands of dogs say never give them to a dog.

The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive
    Chewers such as Labs. Even a small dog can tear off a chunk just right to choke itself. You would never forgive yourself.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Thanks so much labman! I will be getting rid of the pigs ears... I knew they couldn't be good!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Rank it is a shame that we can not trust the products that the pet and grocery stores sell for our pets. Pig ears are nothing but fat! Until recently I let my dog have the rawhide chews but I have learned from this site and a few other people how dangerous that they are. Although my dog did not have any problems with them. I just feel like it is not worth taking a chance on. I am currently searching for something she will enjoy chewing on. Besides tags and wash cloth's. Btw she had/has teeth missing from her bottom jaws, this may explain why she was never able to chew off big pieces.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 06:00 PM
    If you can find them, try a dinosaur Nylabone. Who knows what goes on in those furry little heads? I am not sure it is because they look like a lizard, or the nubby texture, but I find many dogs love them. They also prefer a broken in regular Nylabone to a new one. You could try roughing up one with sandpaper or even scraping it on a sidewalk.

Many dogs like the Gummiebones or Flexibones too. Many of them come with the nubby texture too. You do need to keep an eye on them. Some dogs chew them up too quickly. Even Nylabones must be discarded once gnawed down too small.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
    I just wanted to share with you what happened to my dog.
    She's a Rottweiler (very big dog) and she actually choked on one.
    I had to reach in really far to pull it out.
    It was very scary and I've stuck to the nylabones since the incident.
    First she would turn her nose up to them, but after a while when that was all she was given, she gave in and now enjoys them.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Wow! My little doggies are tiny so no telling what could happen to them; I've removed all pigs ears from the house and I'm going to try the nylabones this weekend! I'm sure they smell better anyway!
    susaningalls1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Are Pig's ears okay for my dog?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 22, 2008, 03:23 AM

It depends on what kind of dog, my husky isn'T allowed rawhide bones because they could splinter. Um... What about Pedigree Jumbones Rex loves those!
    psychenabelljar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Geeze people why don't you go ASK YOUR VET. Unless one of the above users is a veterinarian none of you are really qualified to answer this question at all. My last dog was killed by an unfortunate incident with a car door while he was trying to jump in. Does that mean I should never let my dog ride in cars? Stuff happens. I also think its hilarious that the original asker went from curious to pro-pig ear to anti-pig ear because of stuff unqualified internet strangers said. Ask your vet. Know your dog. Think for yourself.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by psychenabelljar View Post
    Geeze people why don't you go ASK YOUR VET. Unless one of the above users is a veterinarian none of you are really qualified to answer this question at all. My last dog was killed by an unfortunate incident with a car door while he was trying to jump in. Does that mean I should never let my dog ride in cars? Stuff happens. I also think its hilarious that the original asker went from curious to pro-pig ear to anti-pig ear because of stuff unqualified internet strangers said. Ask your vet. Know your dog. Think for yourself.
    Wow, that was uncalled for on a thread that is over 2 years old

And yes, pigs ears are very dangerous, same as rawhide chews.

If your dog eats a large quantity it forms a ball in their stomach which can cause blockages.

It's not being unqualified, it's called common sense.
    zamican Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 05:36 AM

I have been giving my dogs pigs ears for years without any problems. They are their favourite treat. I have tried all the available dog chews in Spain & Poland but they are always discarded in favour of shoes, slippers, doormats or pieces of wood!

My first dog, a West Highland White Terrier (Westie) preferred pigs ears hard or soft given in strips cut from the largest pigs ears. If a piece was too big (Or if he snaffled a whole one) he would walk proudly around the garden looking for a safe place to bury it.

Our two alsatians, a boy and a girl (One we bought for security and one we found living rough under a rusting steel sheet) enjoy a piece of pigs ear at supper time

Our latest dog I found in a snowstorm last Christmas Eve at 10 in the evening also enjoys pigs ears. Her 4 puppies (Born 4 weeks after we found her) for some obscure reason go wild for a piece of pigs ear?

I can say that 7 dogs out of 7 prefer pigs ears to any other treat. The only death was caused by intruders who killed my wonderful Westie. His name was Torre and he fought bravely to defend our home and us before they killed him by hanging.

I am not for or against pigs ears because this is a personal decision for an owner to make and of course on the quality of the pigs ear (Soft/brittle)

I take our 6 dogs for 3 walks a day of up to 10km, on foot and by bike (I ride the bike... ) and after the evening walk they all head for the front door to wait for their treat.

In and around our village dogs are shot by hunters if they are seen loose and discarded dogs are given to hunters to shoot. The last dog to be killed was beaten to death with a club just for a bottle of wine.

Keep them safe they love you unconditionally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ears, ears, ears. When will it end? [ 28 Answers ]

Okay so for those of you that don't remember... Callie started scratching her ears, A lot. She wimpered every time she would scratch them. I bought some ear solution and cleaned her ears and it did not help. I finally took her to the Vet and the Vet said he could not find any signs of earmites...

Itchy Ears [ 5 Answers ]

My dog itches here ears all the time. One day I stuck a Q-tip in there to see what was going on and a black smelly build up was in there what was it?

Itchy ears [ 2 Answers ]

My little Chu.Dog has itchy ears and nothing seems to help

Ears and flies [ 1 Answers ]

I have these flies in my ear and I can sometimes hear them buzzing, what should I do to get help with this?

View more questions Search