Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramc Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Charged or not charged?
    Few months back in Toronto Canada, I was caught for shoplifting. Shop called cop, he gave me appearance notice (Appearance notice give by peace officer to a person NOT YET CHARGED FOR AN OFFENCE) and allow me to go.

On the day of my first appearance I was told to pay few $ to charity and told your charge is withdrawn/ dismissed.

Now I have to fill one form for Visa, in that form it is asked “Have you ever committed, been arrested, or charged with any criminal offence in any country?”

Could some one please let me know what would be my answer? Is the definition of charged varying from country to country?

Usually I encountered the question like “arrested or convicted”.

Regards,
    ramc
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jul 10, 2007, 08:22 AM
    This is a tough question that I probably shouldn't answer because I don't know the answer lol; but I'll throw in my 2 cents (You should probably wait for a better answer just wanted to throw in my opinion). I don't think if it says if you have been arrested, convicted, or charged with a crime that you have to put down anything because they dismissed it, BUT the question you just put down says Have you ever committed a crime which you did. Here's the thinker, you could either be honest (which is of course the right and moral way to go) or you could be a little sneaker and not say that you have. I don't think there is any way that they can find out since your charges were dropped. If you do happen to say you committed a crime it might leave a bad impression if you are getting an interview or something like that. So, because you did commit a crime but didn't get a charge I think you shouldn't really have to put it down; AGAIN, this is my opinion and not an actually law answer so you should probably wait for a better answer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Hello ramc:

I don't know what country wants to know if you've been arrested. Lots of people have been arrested. That means nothing. Same thing with charged.

Since it MEANS nothing, and more importantly, since there is NO RECORD that could dispute your claim, I would say NO.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be charged for this? [ 5 Answers ]

I contacted the new tenant who is taking over my lease since my landlord will not call me back. I've been planning on moving out April 7th (early termination approved by landlord) and have yet to get the official o.k. from the landlord. So I'm continuing to get my information about my lease in...

Account was charged off [ 27 Answers ]

1 more question, I promise I won't bother anyone again. To summarize, I was served a summons from MBNA from the county sheriff. I had 30 days to respond to a PO Box at the court house. I sent a letter( didn't know better-now since reading should have done it differently). I called the law...

Will I still get charged? [ 1 Answers ]

I have alread received a violation for "Failure to be of good behavior". My PO threatened I could be charged with forgery - is that still coming? I was made aware of this December 22. What I am asking is - if I already got violated on "failure to be of good behavior" could I get violated again if I...

Can you still be charged for a theft after? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Ontario,Canada and about 4 years ago I was fired for stealing from my employer. What happened was on several different times I would mark down the wrong amount of bowling league members down wrong and take the $$$$. Eventually I was caught and was fired, however, I got to write...

What can you be charged [ 5 Answers ]

I need help, I received a letter today from a collection agency stating that I owe $1800.00 and they are willing to settle for $1100. Here are my problems first of all I am unsure who the money is going to, and secondly if it is to the place I am thinking of which is Capital One. I had received a...

View more questions Search