Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hussar Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Installing Exterior Doorway Awnings
    I was thinking of installing an exterior doorway awning for my back door. (I'd like to use the screen door even when the weather is inclement).

So how do these bolt on awnings attach to the house? http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1951_13934923

It appears they just have a mounting bracket. Is it as simple as screwing it in? What about the vinyl siding? Do I need to put some flashing back there or something to keep potential rain water from getting between the vinyl siding and the house frame?

Am I just worrying too much?

Thanks!

Brian
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 10:09 AM
    The mounting bracket can be screwed to the exterior wall. You need to locate the studs and mark them. Predrill your holes matching the mounting bracket and put a bead of silicone caulk on the back of the mounting bracket, no flashing needed. Follow the install directions and besure to mount high enough to avoid the swing of the screen door.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
    If it is viynl then you be using lag bolts, I also like to use 100% silicone in the hole and around the outside of the bolt, you do need to hit the studs as ballenger said
    If it is brick they'll be some anched bolts to attach it and you'll need a hammer drill for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut doorway through cinder block [ 7 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure to cut a doorway through cinder block? The cinder block wall is an interior wall that I want to access through from one room to another? It is not a weight bearing wall.

Exterior stucco [ 2 Answers ]

Apply stucco on the bottom of a bay window what needs to been done so mud doesn't fall off ?

Retractable Awnings [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone installed or had one of these installed? I was thinking of having a 22' wide, 11' deep, retractable awnings installed. Looking for feedback, alternatives, hindsight. Thanks

Exterior Color [ 2 Answers ]

My husband says the darker the exterior paint is the hotter the interior of the home is in the summer is this true?

Radius for Arched Doorway [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to properly lay out an arched doorway and can not seem to get this... what I do know is as follows.. the two side walls are 8'9" from the floor to the bottom point of the arch...from a center point between these two vertical lines taking a vertical measurement from the horizontal...

View more questions Search