Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superglidedave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Chimney Insert
    I had to replace my Hot Water Heater and chose a unit that was a bit larger than the old unit. Because there was a difference in height between the old and new, I had to "punch" a new hole into my chimney for the exhaust. The old set-up had my furnace exhaust and water heater exhaust connected to a "Y" and then into the chimney. This "Y" connection is connected to a flexible, accordion style, pipe that runs up through the middle of the chimney.

My question is: Do I need to cut a hole into the flexible pipe running up the chimney, and run the new exhaust pipe for the hot water tank into it? Or can I just place the new exhaust pipe into the chimney and seal it? There is space in the chimney, around the flexible, for the fumes to exhaust.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 04:11 PM
    The chimney was lined for a reason. You need to connect to the liner directly.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Dave, the reason for the according type vent in the chimney(should be double wall) is to keep the discharge gases hot to lift the gases up and outside, these gases are heavier then air and will drop if not kept hot. A brick chimney is a very poor vent because it takes a long time to get hot and a lot of heat to stay hot if the gases cool off due to the cold brick the gases will drop.The vent riser needs to be sized accordingly from the appliance to the point of termination(roof) I would suggest you do it to code to prevent an equipment and health hazard. Poor venting has killed a lot of people, I can't stress this enough. Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain down my Chimney [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that has an older model gas furnace with a brick chimney and when it rains I get water coming out of my vent pipe in my basement just before it attaches to the furnace. I do not have a cap on my chimney and was wondering if I should install one and if so what king should I buy? On...

Chimney repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cracked flu pipe at the top of my chimney. Can this be replaced without tearing down the top two feet of the chimney?

Fireplace insert- chimney [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We recently had our chimney cleaned, costing $160. We have a fireplace insert. The person who cleaned it said our chimney was not safe without a liner-it does have flute. He estimated us $1300 ot put one in and said I don't feel comfortable with you using it. I called my insurance and...

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

View more questions Search