Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lillirotten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 01:40 AM
    Husband wants to adopt my daughter
    My ex husband has custody of my daughter which he is not the biologial father. I want to bring her home so bad. I got remarried and my now husband wants to adopt her.
    Are there any chances for us and if so, what would be the first step? Please somebody help us!!
    rosey3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 03:45 AM
    First of all why did your ex get custody of her? Depending upon that you should seek legal counsel to see what your rights are to at least get joint custody.

Rose
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 10, 2007, 04:19 AM
    If the situation with your ex is that he simply has "physical" custody rather than "legal" custody, then just go get her and bring her home. If it's legal custody, then that raises the question "why does he have legal custody". Were you unable to care for her, etc and a court awarded your ex "legal" custody ? If so, then you now have to prove you can adequately care for her or your circumstances have changed now for the better. Once you get her back, then the natural father must approve your current spouse adopting her and that means he must give up his legal rights to her. Without his consent, it's probably not possible. But I am not an attorney and in matters such as these, you would be best served by seeking legal counsel. As a matter of fact, it's probably a requirement of the law to be represented at adopting proceedings.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Possession is 9/10ths of the law. If your daughter has been living with your ex for any length of time and you do not have legal custody, then taking her would be considered kidnapping.

You NEED a lawyer to petition for custody and adoption.

As to what your chances arre, no way can we answer that without knowing why your ex has custoday, how old the child is and what were the circumstances of her birth and more.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 08:12 PM
    I'm confused. The ex-husband has the child, but isn't the biological father? And now the newest husband wants to adopt her? Who is the legal father of this child, and where is bio dad? Are those the same person or not?

But yes, you will need a lawyer to get custody and do the adoption. And you will need the approval of whoever the legal father is before the adoption will be possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the easies way for my husband to adopt my daughter? Her dad has nothing to do with her, he will sign over his rights cause he already said he would. So what is the cheapest and easiest way to do this. Thank you.

Can my husband adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father has nothing to do with her?

For my husband to adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I would like my husband to adopt my 4 yr old daughter, her real father doesn't pay me goes in and out of her life shows up one day to see her then goes months without calling or coming around, and has been in and out of jail has a voilet past, drinks, in and out of jobs and where he lives no...

Ex-husband!Can he adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I had my daughter in 1997 and became involved with my high school sweatheart again after having her which we started talking again when she was a couple months old. We then moved in together and got married in 2000 we got divorced in 2001 he is still a part of my daughters life and she believes he...

How can my husband adopt my daughter? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband would like to adopt my daughter.She just turned 2 this Nov. but my husband was there for me through my pregnancy and her birth.He has raised her ever since.There is no father listed on the birth certificate but I think I know who the real father is.He is convicted of sexual assault of a...

View more questions Search