Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imann Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 12:16 AM
    Salvage value on damaged inventory
    I have a situation where inventory purchased on account was returned damaged. The original value of sale was $60. I am told the salvage value of the inventory is $20 and to record the inventory at its salvage value.

1st possible way to journalize?:
    Sales Returns & Allowance debit $60
    AR - Customer acct credit $60
    Inventory debit $20
    COGS credit $20

But I am wondering if:
    Sales Ret & Allow should be debit $20 (salvage amount)
    AR stays the same at $60
    Inventory stays the same at $20
    COGS should be credit $60

Any help on this would be appreciated. I kind of think the 1st journal entries are correct but I started thinking about the value of the COGS & whether it should be salvaged like Inventory or the original $60
    tacramer Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2007, 01:24 AM
    1st two are right.. but that's all you got..

When you sold it there were 2 transaction types asset and income..
    Sales +60c, AR +60d AND (assuming that you sell stuff at a profit? )
    Inventory asset +40c, and COGS +40d This generated a net profit of 20.

Now lets reverse this...
    Sals +60d, AR 60c AND now
    Salvage asset +20d and shrinkage/breakage exp +20d and COGS 40c
    Journal the return lowering sales income and reversing the AR.

BUT - Do Not put it back in inventory at a lower price... it isn't - it is now salvaged..

Journal when you sold it you lowered your inventory by cost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damaged Goods [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody else ever feel like they're "damaged goods" and that they don't really deserve to be in a long-term relationship or in a marriage?:(

Can you salvage funds from a bank lien. [ 1 Answers ]

My bank recently bought a judgement from another bank against me totalling $29,000. Can I salvage any of these funds? Is there a limit to how much a bank can take out of your account? What can I do?

Damaged condom [ 13 Answers ]

In case condom is damaged while using and u suspect that siemeb may have gone into the womb, then what precaution should be taken to avoid pregnancy

Carpet damaged [ 1 Answers ]

I was renting a property from a landlord in columbus Ohio. I have been there for 2 and 1/2 years. He snet me an email telling me he was going to take me to small claims court for my water bill which I said I would pay. And he said that the carpet needs replaced and he wants me to pay him back...

Damaged Goods [ 18 Answers ]

I purchased a home and after the contract for the sale was executed, the seller’s wife contacted me and asked me if I was interested in purchasing the new custom draperies that were on the windows. She told me that she wanted $1,700. I agreed and told her that I would pay her separately at...

View more questions Search