Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jodi777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
    I have 2 creditors that are just starting to call me about 2 old credit cards that were from like 12 or more years ago... these were both paid I highly doubt I have the proof that this was paid. Can someone advise me on how to handle this situation?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jodi777
    i have 2 creditors that are just starting to call me about 2 old credit cards that were from like 12 or more years ago... these were both paid i highly doubt i have the proof that this was paid. can someone advise me on how to handle this situation?
    You'd have been better off posting your own question and starting a new thread. However, to answer your question, in the absence of cancelled checks which I doubt you still have after 12 years, your best bet would be to turn the tables, so to speak and make them prove that you owe the debt. Ask for documentation, copies of bills, etc. It's highly irregular that they'd be just now pursuing a 12-year-old debt and I doubt that it'd carry much water in court if it goes that far.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Dispute the debt in writing, never speak to them. Demand they prove the debt is valid and not passed the SOL.

If they fail to verifiy the alleged debt, send another letter to the mto cease and desist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debts [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 34 years I was married to a wonderful loving man. He passed away just 7 weeks ago. Needless to say he left me with a lot of credit card debts. And I mean a lot. My question: Since my name was not on these credit card debts and in fact I did not know about most of them until the...

Bad Debts [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know what are Bad Debts. Can someone explain with an example for me. Detailed explination would be appreciated. Thanks

Responsibility for others debts [ 2 Answers ]

How do I declare not responsible for others debts

What do I do about debts? [ 2 Answers ]

All of credit cards went to collection and total is 6. Can't pay debt since in school and make too little part time job. Debt range from $78 to many in the thousands (3500). Total credit default debt = 13000. Student loans good standing 40000. What to do? Afraid some collection agency can sue....

Old Debts [ 5 Answers ]

I was just notified by a collector regarding a debt I incurred in 1996.I have not received any prior notice.This was an Emergency Room bill. I do not keep records past 8 years. I have no idea of what if anything I truly owe or paid. Can they come after me after 10 years ?I am in Texas. Susan

View more questions Search