Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Jul 8, 2005, 02:09 AM
    Ebook reader
    Anyone can help me out what I have to buy to read my ebooks , I have lots of ebooks but want to read them by a handheld device not on my laptop .
    Thanks
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jul 8, 2005, 03:40 AM
    E-Book Reader
    You don't have to pay for the e-book reader software.They can be obtained legally from various sites.Just type in "Free E-Book Reader" in a search engine.

I have a Sony PDA,and use the Palm-Reader from the link below.It will say you have full use of the Pro version for 15 days only.But don't worry,it will revert to the free version after this time,without any problems at all,and without you doing anything.You will just get a message telling you that the Pro version is now reverting to the free version,which you can use forever.

http://www.ebookmall.com/palm-reader.htm

Also try this link if you have a Pocket PC.It is from the Microsoft site.Just scroll to the bottom of the page for the install instructions.Again,the software is totally free:

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/ppc.asp

Nez.

Jul 8, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Thank you for your quick response
    I have softwares to read my ebooks in my laptop but want to read them during my duty time because I am a medical student and want to read my ebooks after my lectures but the problem is I don't know what hand held PC or a pda I have to buy to read tyhem.
    Will you please guide me what handheld PC / pda I have to buy from the market .
    Thanks
    drali77

Jul 8, 2005, 10:02 AM
    E-Book Reader
    What you buy is obviously personal choice.Do you go for a Pocket PC,or a PDA? On this I can't really guide you,as you have to make that decision.All I will say is that a Pocket PC,is more "up-market" than a PDA.Yet a PDA is by no means the poor relation.It's all swings and roundabouts.

As your in the UK,check this site out.After going to the link,click-on the "Watch video" link near the top center of the page.You get a first class presentation between PDA's,and Pocket PC's,by a respectable BBC presenter,called Kate Russell,who is also a joint presenter of a program called Click-On-Line.So she won't review rubbish!

The link is:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.h...80L&familyid=0

If you end up getting lost,just write PDA and Pocket PC reviews,in a search engine.

Nez.

Jul 8, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Thanks for your reply , please just name one or two ebook reader(handheld), and I will but one from the market .
    I don't want to go too deep .
    Thanks

Jul 8, 2005, 01:30 PM
    Pda
    I can't really recommend a product to you,as the "market" is swamped with various types,from basic PDA's,to those which play MP3 files,movie clips,and those which make a cup of tea!

The best advice I can give,is to talk to friends who already have a PDA,or a Pocket PC,and gauge their replies.I have a link below to Kelkoo,which will give you prices in pound sterling (£).Just look at a product,note the price,then if your interested click-on the link info guide,or the product name.None of these will break the bank,but as you're a student (I was one about a hundred years ago as well! ),save carefully and buy something within your budget.

The link to Kelkoo is:

http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/...e&catId=114501

I'm not suggesting you buy off this site,but it will give you some idea of products and their cost.Good luck.

Nez.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2005, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drali77
    thanks for your reply , please just name one or two ebook reader(handheld), and i will but one from the market .
    i dont wana go too deep .
    thanks
    The problem here is that there are many formats for e-books. For example, check out memoware.com. You will see they list at least a half dozen different formats. Thinks like Acrobat, Palm Reader, Microsoft Reader, Doc and several others.

Without knowing what format your e-books are, its impossible to advise. Check the WEB for reader software for your format and see what platfomr it has readers for.

Jul 11, 2005, 02:35 AM
    Thanks for you reply

My ebooks are PDB files and I open them with a software named iSilo.
    Now you can give me better advice about it.
    I talked to one of my friend and he told me to buy a palm M515 , is it fine if I buy palm M515 ?

Thanks and waiting for response

Jul 11, 2005, 04:19 AM
    Palm M515
    This is a review of the Palm M515,as given by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&vi=tech-data

The price is in US dollars,and products may not be brand new.You'l have to check UK sites for the correct new,or used price.

The iSilo dowenload link is here:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/resources/palm.html

It is available in freeware,and shareware.The freeware version does not support links,or graphics.The shareware version does,but is only available free for thirty days.

Nez.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2005, 06:05 AM
    PDB files are Palm databases files. These also cover some e-book fomats. ISilo is a Palm e-book reader. I don't know if its available for the Pocket PC. But the e-book files themselves would need to be converted if possible. So a Palm device would appear to be your best bet.

The M515 is a nice unit. I have one. Buts it a discontinued model, so you may have trouble finding one. However, any Palm unit will do. If you want to use it primarily for e-books one of the lesser expensive Zire models will be fine.

Jul 11, 2005, 01:08 PM
    Thanks you all for the support .
    But the thing is how I am going to to change the ebook format so that they can be read on palm m515?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pcmcia usb card reader [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought the new Vaio UX series. It has no PCMCIA slot which I use for my Vodafone Mobile Connect Card to get a GPRS Internet connection. So, I'm looking for a drive or reader that takes PCMCIA (PC) cards and connects to the computer using a USB port, for use with a computer that has no...

Ebook [ 2 Answers ]

How to convert ebooks into different formats so you can be able to read them on hanhheld pcs,palms etc etc Please help :confused:

View more questions Search