Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iKwak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2005, 10:11 PM
    Who claims the deposit money?
    State: California

Hello,
    Here is the scenario. The prospect and seller signed on the deal. The prospect needed to qualify for the loan PRIOR to the closing. The prospect made a deposit and told the seller he will be ready within 40 days.

The first loan request was rejected because of low down payment.
    The second loan request was also rejected.

Forty days has past.
    The seller does not want to continue with the sales because he lost two months of possible rent income due to the waiting.

So who keeps the deposit money?
    The prospect said 40 days. The deposit is held at the escrow company. Thank you inadvance.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2005, 08:17 PM
    http://www.blankrome.com/publication...minsky_088.asp

Don't know if this applies differently in cali, but it seems, as would be right, that the deposit is forfeited if the obligations of the agreement are not met.

Deals can go bad, its true... but if the money isn't forfeited by the failure to meet the obligations than what meaning is there in the deposit anyway??
    iKwak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 09:51 PM
    I appreciate your response kp2171. :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Tenant Claims Lease Is Not Valid [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am managing only one property in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma for a friend of the family and today one of the tenants told me over the phone the lease is not valid because I am not a real estate professional. (1) Is this tenant's statement invalid and (2) can I have the tenants evicted for...

Tax claims for couples [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I live in different states (:( , hope it will change pretty soon). For tax return claim, is it the same if we claim individually as we claim together? Thanks

Small claims lawsuit question? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing a small claims lawsuit for $3000. I bought a $7000 car as a gift for an ex boyfriend. We broke up two months after the gift was given, and I feel I should be paid back either half the amount I spent or be given back the car. I have all the receipts showing I paid in...

View more questions Search