Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayarebird Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Glueing brass to plastic
    Hi Folks,

New here.

Problem: I need to glue a quarter sized brass washer to a smooth, flat, hard plastic surface (no, I don't know what kind of plastic).

Requirement: Stand up permanently to light to moderate stress on a G scale model railroad.

The plastic pivot pin on the motorized truck of a Delton Doozie rail truck broke off. I deemed the plastic pin beyond repair and discarded it. I fabricated a new pivot pin out of junkbox brass parts. Now, it must be attached to the top of the truck motor housing. There is no clearance for screws, bolts, or rivets. That leaves glue. What are your best suggestions as to the type of glue?

Jim
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 07:46 PM
    I would use a kind of clear epoxy on this. It usually comes in two, separate tubes that are linked together with hard plastic. Either the kind that advertises in setting in five minutes or the kind that advertises as being able to hold a couple of tons should do.

Jul 9, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I would use a kind of clear epoxy on this. It usually comes in two, separate tubes that are linked together with hard plastic. Either the kind that advertises in setting in five minutes or the kind that advertises as being able to hold a couple of tons should do.
    Hi Clough,

Quick response. Unless I erred in reading the times, your reply came back in six miniutes. Nice!

Two part epoxy was my first inclination. I have two different brands on hand. Elmers has NO instructions as to materials. The other, Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy, lists metal, wood, concrete, glass, china, ceramics, and fiberglass. Not even a suspicion of the existence of plastic as an application for their product. That is what put me off on the notion. If there is anything I hate in life it is to have to revisit the scene of the crime when the first fix doesn't work.

Thanks for your reply and advise.

Jim
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 08:57 PM
    I would suggest trying the Devcon on plastic pieces, that you can throw away, that are similar to the plastic that you are trying to bond with the brass.
    icopus Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2007, 06:54 PM
    This to That (Glue Advice)

Aug 16, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice. I tried the "two ton" glue and it worked great. I think it would take a large hammer and a cold chisel to separate the parts now, and I suspect that one of the parts would break before the glue joint separated.

Thanks again,
    Jim
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayarebird
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice. I tried the "two ton" glue and it worked great. I think it would take a large hammer and a cold chisel to separate the parts now, and I suspect that one of the parts would break before the glue joint separated.

Thanks again,
    Jim
    Good job! I'm glad that you have solved your problem! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is brass an alternative to dielectric union?! [ 8 Answers ]

Good morning speedball, I am very clear on the theory of electrolysis and such between dissimiliar metals in solutions. But I have read that one can use brass fittings in leiu of a dielectric device. I find that hard to be true. Brass may have properties which can slightly negate the battery...

Plastic pipe brass fittings? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I use brass compression fittings with 15mm plastic pipe? Thanks!

PVC drain dry-fitting and solvent glueing [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to replace all the plumbing in my house with PVC drainpipe. All the 'books' say to dry-fit the system to get the lengths and angles of pipe and fittings and to mark the joints with a "T" pattern marking the seam and fitting angle. The same books say to use these reference marks when...

Glueing pipe [ 1 Answers ]

:cool: What is the best way to connect abs to pvc pipe in a old home that has abs pipe. They only sell pvc pipe in my area and I have a number of connections that I have to make with pvc pipe into the abs pipe. Thank you for helping me

Brass drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am completing a bar unit which is using an existing drain waste system. I have seen a thin walled brass drain pipe at my local plumbing store and would like to use this but when I have tested it I cannot get a good seal and continually get small leaks. The pipe has a threaded collar at one end...

View more questions Search