Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverhisz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Custody rights.
    [F]
    My baby's father does not want anything to do with our child. He is 22 and has a good job. I am 19 and have a decent job. He denies the baby because he is with a new girlfriend. He has not done anything at all for our baby the past 4 months of me being pregnant. He told me that if I try and get child support he is going to get full custody and his lawyer said that he would. I don't know what to do.. I need help and advice on this subject.
    ddog22 Posts: 24, Reputation: 6

Jul 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
    It looks like you made a mistake, best thing for you to so is go home to your parents so your baby has a father figure and a sense of family. He will pay child support and will not get full custody. Next time make better choices on who you sleep with. You need to now focus on your child, so no more dating till he or she is 18, your baby is already going to have enough to deal with. So at least you and your parents can be a strong roll model for your baby. Maybe the father will come around and be a man, not a boy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2007, 07:33 PM
    The only way he would get full custody is if he can prove you are an unfit mother. He is trying to intimidate you to get out of his responsibilities. Don't let him. Get your own lawyer. Make sure you file for full custody and child support.
    ddog22 Posts: 24, Reputation: 6

Jul 9, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The only way he would get full custody is if he can prove you are an unfit mother. He is trying to intimidate you to get out of his responsibilities. Don't let him. Get your own lawyer. Make sure you file for full custody and child support.
    Scott is right do it tomorrow! Don't waste another hour!
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Jul 9, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Well, so he dosen't want anything to do with the child, but says he will file for full custody? Sounds fishy. People say all kind of stuff, he is intitled to some time with the child up to half but I would think that it would actually be more expensive to take care of the child all the time, than to pay support. He will either pay or he won't all you can do is try to get him to. But no court is going to give him full custody based on his reasoning.
    Just always maintain class and civility, work things out legally and don't worry these are the same problems people have all the time, just be a good mother and no one is going to take away your child.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 08:52 PM
    You should be talking to a lawyer of your own. Custody laws are generally skewed in favor of the mother so it sounds like Daddy's lawyer may be a bit over-confident (if (s)he really said that in the first place). But there are no guarantees so get your own lawyer to be safe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody Rights for Newborn [ 5 Answers ]

What are the general custody rights to a father of a newborn?

Fathers rights and custody [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has a daughter with another woman whom he was never married to. She is one year old. He and his ex have never legally set anything up, they have just been doing things between the two of them, with no court involved. We have supported and helped her through everything. She is living in...

Custody rights [ 6 Answers ]

I am 33 weeks pregnant and there is a possibility between 2 guys to be the father. I live in Alabama and Ive been trying to understand the laws, but I need help. I'm only 20 years old, and I should have never gotten pregnant because I'm not ready. Well, I was wondering, if I don't put a father...

Custody/moving rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in process of divorcing wife. I have not lived with her for 6 months and money is only issue stopping divorce. I take my child and her child from a previous relationship every weekend. If I could take them more I would but I need to work 60 hours to meet my bills. We have nothing legally in...

Custody rights [ 4 Answers ]

I am married (for 12 years). My husband and I have a five year old daughter. The relationship has been a bit rock over the past few years for various reasons. I want to know where I stand if this ever did go down the divorce path, as far a custody is concerned. My husand and I agreed that one of...

View more questions Search