Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suzie52589112 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 03:31 PM
    The Best Laptop There Is.
    Ok, Im going away to college and I'd like to know what's the best laptop I can get (brand, settings, features and so forth).. I also wanted to know does all laptops come with ethernet, ethernet cables and wireless cards? :confused: If not, I'd like the names of laptops and brands that do INCLUDE these 3 things specifically...
    THank you... :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Most laptops do indeed come with ethernet and wireless connections, but very few have the cables as well.
    Ethernet cables are very cheap.

Now what sort of budget are you looking at, and don't say it doesn't matter otherwise I'll point you at $4,000+ machines.

What function will you be putting this machine to?
    What sort of things do you REALLY NEED ?
    What sort of things do you WANT ?

Jul 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Well, my budget is about $800.. I have lots of things to buy... And Ill be using the computer for music and schoolwork... I would like about 100Gb and up... a dvd/cd player... and a good amount of Mb since ill be uploading music from limewire and pics from my digital cam 2 it...
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Go and check out Dell's site.
    The Inspiron range is very good.
    My XPS M1710 is based on ths range and I've been plesantly surprised at just how good it has performed.

Jul 9, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I have heard that dell is not the best to get.. Its said that it works for awhile then begins to have problems.. So, I really don't want a dell... anything else??
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jul 9, 2007, 06:30 PM
    You can also look at Acer Aspire. You can find them at BestBuy.com for around 600 with a 160GB drive and both wireless and ethernet. They get fairly decent reviews for the price you are looking at.

Jul 9, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Thank you for your help... :)
    cschang Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie52589112
    Ok, Im going away to college and I'd like to know whats the best laptop I can get (brand, settings, features and so forth).. I also wanted to know does all laptops come with ethernet, ethernet cables and wireless cards??:confused: If not, I'd like the names of laptops and brands that do INCLUDE these 3 things specifically...
    THank you....... :)
    I also recommand Dell. If you go away to college, then you may want to consider a lighter laptop in case you want to carry it with you to classes and take notes. Of course, all the suggestiions above applies. What else will you be using it for. Do you need performance grade or just simple note taking, paper writing machine. These are the things you have to think about. Lastly, check out GotApex? - Deals, Coupon Code & Discount Prices, they have deals on Dell from time to time.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 04:16 AM
    I recommend Dell as well. Just for your info Acer used to be a bottom feeder as far as brands went but they have been revitalized as a proper competitor in the laptop space.

Epinions is a good site for additional consumer-driven info: Compare Prices and Read Reviews on PC Laptops at Epinions.com
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Toshiba!
    'nuff said, homemade:D
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
    What the... you said the best there is...

That would be Alienware, they start at $999 though.

Alienware: Compare All Notebooks!
    BossMan

Jul 24, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Of course I assume you mean this one: Alienware: Aurora mALX Notebook - Learn More!

I was trying to get one through, but £3,500 was a little large for a laptop and yes that IS £££ sterling once I'd got the spec I wanted.
    I must admit the Dell XPS M1710 is a damn good machine for the money ;)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
    What kind of degree will you be heading into? You should take that into consideration... if you are going into law you wouldn't need the same kind of computer as if you were going into a design or videography field. You probably aren't htinking about that right now, but it will save you headaches in the future when your work is taking forever.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Of course I assume you mean this one: Alienware: Aurora mALX Notebook - Learn More!

I was trying to get one through, but £3,500 was a little large for a laptop and yes that IS £££ sterling once I'd got the spec I wanted.
    I must admit the Dell XPS M1710 is a damn good machine for the money ;)

Snazzy, that would be the "best of the best" but they have some starting at 1000 USD which isn't bad really. But I would definitely have to get something like this with many many optional items. Also their towers can go up to $10,000 USD if you get multiple hard drives and all the fancy peripherals.

One day... sigh
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    what kind of degree will you be heading into? you should take that into consideration....if you are going into law you wouldnt need the same kind of computer as if you were going into a design or videography field. You probably aren't htinking about that right now, but it will save you headaches in the future when your work is taking forever.
    COrrect! If you are computer science major student then it MAKES A HUGE influnce on what type/function laptop you need to get!
    BossMan

Jul 24, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Lowtax, if you want REALLY serious machines have a look at VoodooPC Gaming, Luxury, and Entertainment PCs.
    You can spec machines that cost MORE than a sports car :D:D

Have a play with this: VoodooPC Gaming PCs, Luxury PCs, Notebook PCs, and Entertainment PCs

So far my Ultimate spec weighs in at $7,500 without shipping.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Lowtax, if you want REALLY serious machines have a look at VoodooPC Gaming, Luxury, and Entertainment PCs.
    You can spec machines that cost MORE than a sports car :D:D

Have a play with this: VoodooPC Gaming PCs, Luxury PCs, Notebook PCs, and Entertainment PCs

so far my Ultimate spec weighs in at $7,500 without shipping.

You should see my computer :)
    al69mgb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
    HI Suzie52589112;

I have an HP. Have had it about 4 yrs & love it No problems. Another is gateway, bought a gateway for my daughter to go to college in her third year also no problems. Just make sure you get recovery disk with it or call the Customer service & have them send you a set. Just about all will come with wireless built in & DVD player. Buy a usb thumb drive to back up the papers you will be writing about 6 GB should do well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Laptop [ 7 Answers ]

Laptop m100 windows xp touchpad not available how can I get it back 2 work I'm using a mouse I don't like the mouse I went into mouse properties still no touchpad on my laptop

Is this a right way to use Laptop ? [ 4 Answers ]

When using Laptop at home, I use AC Adapter without taken out Battery. Is this correct way ? Or I have to take out Battery ? My friend say: if I don't take out Battery when using AC Adapter, the battery will finished quickly. That means I have to buy a new Battery ! Is this true ? Normally,...

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

In need of a new laptop [ 17 Answers ]

My current Sony Vaio GRT is on its way out. Suppose dropping it on to a concrete floor hasn't helped much. So I have a budget of €2,000 (£1,300, $2,600 US Excluding TAX) for a new one, yes its for work, but that doesn't matter. Bear in mind my current machine is a P4 2.8 with HT, 1Gb RAM, 60...

View more questions Search