Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ganewton4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Plumbing issues -seller had to know!!
    My husband and I purchased our first home in Indianapolis, In in May of this year (2005). After living there for 3 weeks, water from the shower and washer started backing up on the basement floor from the drain. Called a plumber, he came out and pulled massive amounts of roots from main sewer line from house to street. He said the original clay sewer pipe in front of the house is breaking apart and will be $4000-$5000 :( to correct. I know the seller had to have known this-he told us in closing to put anything we stored in the basement on skids "just in case" and showed us a receipt where he had mold damage corrected in the past there in the basement.
    Roots do not grow that large overnight. I am 100% sure he had to have known about this when he sold the home to us. This had to have happened in the past. Being first time buyers, we assumed when he said there was mold in the basement once, that maybe the window had leaked.
    Is there anything I can do in this situation?
    Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Most real estate contracts require all major systems to be operational unless disclosed to the buyer. On the other hand, routering out old sewer lines is routine maintenance. If the system is in as bad of shape as the plumber says it is, I think the seller is obligated to fix it. The plumber may be a little more credible than an excavation contractor.

If you had a lawyer at closing, call him. He should at least point you on where to go now without additional charge. You may need to pay for additional services before this is over.

In many cases, it is better to fix a problem than let it go. You may end up paying to fix it after you lived with it for years and then sold the house. At that time, you have little control over what is done and who does it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Leak / Seller failed to disclose [ 1 Answers ]

I have owned my home for 11months. The basement has leaked 4x's and the seller failed to disclose any type of basement seepage/problems such as the ones I have (pools of water in my basement coming from the ground). However, the seller did disclose that a trickle of water comes from the rear...

Private Seller - Bad Purchase [ 9 Answers ]

Hi - bought a 1993 car from a private seller in SC... the ad stated that ac was included in the car. When my husband tried it, only warm air came out. The seller assured him it worked and maybe a wire was loose. We spent $200 for the mechanic to tell us that the compressor makes noise, no...

Seller of vehicle lied! [ 5 Answers ]

I need a bit of advice and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them. My husband, very eager to find an older Nissan Pathfinder in decent shape, with decent milage. Well, he thought he found one, we drove 3 1/2 hours one way in a horrible snowstorm to look at the vehicle. ...

Tub Issues [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My name is Barb, I went to take a shower this morning and had no water pressure at my tub area. The sink is fine, to toilet flushes just fine, but no water at tub. I took off the spout, I pryed off the turn handle but nothing that I see is causing my water not to POUR out. I looked at the hot...

View more questions Search