Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sybre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2005, 04:21 AM
    Web based communication
    I am looking for a way for two people to have instant communication over the internet without installing any software. MSN2Go or something similar would be ideal but unfortunately we are prohibited from using IM by our sysadmin.
    A solution to this problem would be an inhouse web-based IM/chat type thing. It doesn't need to be particularly complex as only two people would be communicating at any time: one of the people will always be on site as host, the other will be a remote user who may want to ask the host questions.
    Don't know how well I explained that but basically, I'm not sure where to start and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2005, 04:30 AM
    There are tonnes of web based solutions if you want to chat to your friends without your boss knowing (although they will still be able to see what sites you are going to). A Google search for "web based chat" will bring up plenty.

If you want to find a more private place to chat, you're probably going to have to create/download and run one yourself. This can be down using scripting/programming langagues such as Java, C#, PHP, ASP and so on. Typing the name of a programming language followed by "chat" in Google will probably do the trick.

What I did when I was in college was to write a small Java chat program. One person runs it as a server, the others connect to that server and then they can chat away.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2005, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybre
    I am looking for a way for two people to have instant communication over the internet without installing any software. MSN2Go or something similar would be ideal but unfortunately we are prohibited from using IM by our sysadmin.
    A solution to this problem would be an inhouse web-based IM/chat type thing. It doesn't need to be particularly complex as only two people would be communicating at any time: one of the people will always be on site as host, the other will be a remote user who may want to ask the host questions.
    Don't know how well I explained that but basically, I'm not sure where to start and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please.
    If you want a corporate, closed IM system, you might check out Lotus' Sametime. Also AOL has a corporate solution. Another possibility is using NetMeeting which comes free with Windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Communication problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have two questions.Pls help me 1)I want to improve my spoken english .I don't have the time to go to classes.Can I improve by reading books.which is best for this purpose? 2)When there is social gathering 8-10 people I scared to speak and don't find any word to speak.Infact I got bored and...

Lacking communication [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been married almost 6 years. We used to be great at communication but now to be honest it sucks. When ever there's a problem and I try to confront it he'll avoid the subject by cracking jokes, or it will just turn into a big fight. I have bought 2 books on making your...

About wireless communication [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: What is wireless communication? How does it work? What is mobile technology?

View more questions Search