Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Squeakar69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Antique expert in railroad items
    I have an antique railroad lantern that has been in the family for 4 generations now. It is made by the company Dietz in NY. It is a kerosene HI LO lantern in good shape with a red glass globe. Could you please give me an approximate of worth on this for insurance purposes? Thanking you in advance. Mary
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
    The going price looks to range around $30.00 for ones with clear glass and considerably more for ones with colored globes. The prices vary greatly when the lanterns have a colored globe. I would suggest setting it's value at $125.00 in order to insure getting enough money to replace it if something were to happen to it. It would be hard to find one like it, but one could be found.

antique railroad lantern Dietz in NY - Google Product Search

eBay - lantern, Railroadiana, Trains, Bicycles items on eBay.com
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
    I agree with Clough, sadly I know you most likely though it would be worth much more. And honestly I think they should, but the market has never supported them at a higher price. There are many things, if you have a photo of perhaps your great gradfather holding or using the lantern, if he was stamped with a railroad name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question(s) about replacing a Railroad Tie Retaining Wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have some time off this summer and I was thinking of replacing a rotted-out, railroad tie retaining wall we have in the front yard. I'd like to replace it with block. Here is the setup. From our driveway, there is a concrete path that curves to the front of our house (the driveway / garage...

Trans-Siberian railroad [ 1 Answers ]

In , the Trans-Siberian Railway was completed. This railway system in miles long and takes 7 days to travel end to end, from Moscow in the west to Vladivostok in the east

Railroad Tax Deductions [ 1 Answers ]

I am employed by a major railroad. Is there a list of items which are tax deductions for this type work. Please help.

Railroad Tax Question? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Tax Expert, I work for the railroad and right now have filed potentially with the standard deduction which is $10,000. I needed to know are there any benefits for working out of state majority of the time I travel out of state almost daily and stay there anywhere from 12 to 20 hours per...

View more questions Search