Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mojosmomie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Volunteer Repossesion
    In Feb. I leased a car 45,000.00 ( I tried to get out of it at the last minuted but the dealer said I couldn't I know my fault should have looked into it more) anyway kept it one month couldn't afford it. Called the lease co. told them I couldn't afford it. They told me to try to sell it , etc. I ended up doing a volunteer repo. They auctioned the car off for 27,000. And called me thurs and told me I owe them 18,000. The balance of the lease. THIS is in the state of Florida. They say I owe it by this Thurs. one week from the phone call.
    Im in a panic. We are buying our home. Don't own anything. Or have any assests. Both my husband and I work. We have 4 minor children. What can they do to us?? We are very nervous. I can't pay this or I would have kept the lease. I can't even afford a lawyer. Does anyone know what the law is on this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2007, 05:34 PM
    What they can and mostly likely will do is take you to court for the balance. If they win, and I see no reason for them to lose, they can then garnish your salary and/or attach your bank accounts.

I don't know who suggested the voluntary repo but that was the wrong thing to do, since what happened is what was likely to happen. Your only hope as far as I can see is if you can prove the dealer wouldn't let you out of the lease within 3 days. Federal law requires a 3 day right of recission, though I'm not sure how that would work if you actually took possession of the car.

Bottomline, is you agreed to buy the car and took possession of it. You are therefore responsible for paying the balance of the loan. The best suggestion I can offer is to work out a payment schedule with the leasing company.
    mojosmomie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Apparently in Florida they can't agrnish wages (at least that's what I'm trying to find out for sure). I had to sign a paper saying that there was no 3 day return period. The whole deal was bad and I should have been smart enough to walk away but I can't keep looking back at what I did wrong.
    I want to confirm that the Florida law is that they can't garnish wages in this state. I did ask the lady when she called if I could work out a payment plan she told me to go get a loan. If I could afford a loan I would have kept the car. I don't have that kind of money.
    Can a "GOOD FAITH amount" of lets say100.00 amount keep a collection co. from taking someone to court on an 18,000. Debt??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2007, 07:18 PM
    I doubt it. $100/month won't cover the interest. Even if they suspend interest it would take you 15 years to pay off.

I'm more interested in this paper where you signed away your right of recission. I don't know how legal that was. That may be enough (if you still have it), to prove the transaction was illegal or fraudulent.

It does appear that Florida restricts salary garnishment. See this site:
    Florida Asset Protection Under Florida Statutes: IRA, Garnishment, Salary, Annuity & Insurance
    However, the protection is only extended to the head of the household, so your salary would be fair game.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 06:40 PM
    I will also point out that if you can afford to buy a house, I am having a hard time picturing you being unable to pay that debt. Plus, it's a big target for the dealership to go after and put a lien on.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 07:06 PM
    You may need to file for bankruptcy and have the debt discharged. Do so after you complete the purchase of your home. Meanwhile, try to complete the home purchase as quickly as possible before the repo has time to become a "bad" debt or it could jeopardize your ability to get the credit you'll need for your mortgage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Volunteer job? [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find a volunteer software job?

Repossesion of a Mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

When can they take the home legally

Manufactured home default law before repossesion [ 7 Answers ]

I just have a question about the law that surrounds manufactured homes (mh). Our mh loan is due on the 1st, we are generally always late, usually paid on 12th or later. We never not pay, we pay. The company that our loan is through has a guy who is completely rude. He considers it 30 days late...

Volunteer in Africa [ 1 Answers ]

CICD and the Humana People to People movement are looking for volunteers. You can contribute to the fight against AIDS and poverty by joining the Development Instructor program. A life changing experience – for yourself and the people in Africa you work with! You can work with: - Child Aid...

View more questions Search