Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skrypt Posts: 156, Reputation: 25

Jul 10, 2007, 01:53 AM
    I don't get smoking. You have to force yourself to like cigs. Really stupid.
    (a little off topic.)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Skrypt disagrees: uh schools do teach about safe sex. It's mandatory every year I believe in high school or at least 9th grade. You learn a whole lot about safe sex. There was so much we learned on how to prevent pregnancy, protect against stds, and have more fun doing
    You were VERY lucky. I had a sex ed course, in 1989 (my 9th grade year), that spent a month on the reproductive systems in humans, and then 2 forms of birth control in every class hour for a week. That's IT. What was emphasized for the birth control was the failure rates, not the best ways to make them work, or the possible side effects, or the fact that combining them could lower your chances of getting pregnant further.

My brother is 8 years younger than I am, and didn't even get that much.

I sat on the school board's committee to select the sex ed program/books/etc my senior year in high school. It was 4 high school students, 4 parents, 2 members of clergy, 2 members of the school board, a judge, an attorney, and 3 teachers. The other students and I fought for MORE information in the class, saying that being informed helped make better decisions.

We were overruled constantly, by ADULTS, who felt that it was a parent's right and obligation to teach their OWN children, and that giving kids that much information was encouraging them to have sex, rather than giving the information they needed. I was disgusted and put down on the record as one of 5 dissenting voices on the final choice--3 students, 1 teacher, and the attorney all said that the "abstinence program" was idiotic, but were overruled.

So YES, some school systems are informed and do give good information, but the vast majority lean towards teaching abstinence.
    prayerlord Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Jul 10, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Now that I have your attention -- When I was a teen about a thousand years ago, we depended on our parents or "knowledgeable or experienced" friends for information about sex. Often parents' information was brief and unhelpful; friends' knowledge was too often incorrect. Many of us were virgins when we married because that is just how it was back then. There was a lot of misinformation, so it was often better to err on the side of chastity.

My question is, why in the 21st century are there so many confused teens seeking information, especially with questions about sex? Magazines, books, tv, and the Internet are full of answers to any question one can ask. In fact, there is nothing left to the imagination any more. So why all the confused and lacking-in-knowledge people?
    U know what girl... (im a guy)... screw sex... make sure your ready!! Meet the guy you love most and then get laid.. j/k
    synonim Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Aug 27, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Now that I have your attention -- When I was a teen about a thousand years ago, we depended on our parents or "knowledgeable or experienced" friends for information about sex. Often parents' information was brief and unhelpful; friends' knowledge was too often incorrect. Many of us were virgins when we married because that is just how it was back then. There was a lot of misinformation, so it was often better to err on the side of chastity.

My question is, why in the 21st century are there so many confused teens seeking information, especially with questions about sex? Magazines, books, tv, and the Internet are full of answers to any question one can ask. In fact, there is nothing left to the imagination any more. So why all the confused and lacking-in-knowledge people?
    It is all the massive amounts on the misinformation about sex. Sex was simple at one time, a woman only had sex with her husband, or one boyfriend before that. If she was no longer capable of providing for her husband sexually she support him have a mistress. Pretty black and white. Now a days women are telling women that they can have all the sex they want risk free, except, it is not risk free, it devastates women emotionally. Or they become men, sex changes, and all that, be like a man, that is what society tells a woman, don't be like a woman.
    shayloveantwan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 02:29 PM

Because people in general are to to lazy to look up the answer themselves.That simple.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 05:48 PM
    I agree with wondergirl,
    In today's age we find more unwanted pregnancies and I do not think it is lack of knwoledge but more to do with carelessness and carefree attitudes of many.
    As someone said most do not believe when people talk about single mothers and their hardhsips,these are just old wives tales to some,but when they face it themselves it is too late.

About sex -ed, we never had that while I was in school around 1996,but one day all the girls from 7th up till 10th grade were informed about menstrual cycle and all the diseases attached to sexual activities.
    They even showed slides of AIDs patients in their deteriorating stages.Some slides showed diseased sexual organs, most of us did not have an appetite that day for sure.
    And I have a feeling that most of us present there remained virgins a long time...

For me personally,call it parental guidance or religious guidance or part of my old romance book readings, but I always thought that my husband should be the first... and after marriage. I felt it was a treasure to be kept until marriage,not something I would willingly give up on a whim.
    And I am so glad I did.
    As I know many of my friends who used to have one physical relationship after another,some have settled down,but the ones they married lack in their eyes because they have so much to compare with and some have even divorced and gotten away from good marriages because they think some other guy/girl is more sexier than their spouses.

Another thing as someone on this thread mentioned,
    Sex is glamourised,as drinking and smoking.Teens get the impression that the ones not doing it are boring fools.The hip ones are those getting it on with one or another until they find the right one,who I may say sometimes passes by because their concentration is so much on the physical aspect and less on the emotional aspect of relationships.

This is just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What sex is like when you're old enough to know better. [ 1 Answers ]

What's your take on this? Especially if you're over 50. Naked: A Film by Rached Dretzin

Gone off sex [ 8 Answers ]

I there I am with my wonderful guy for three years now - and the usual story with sex when we got together first we were making love all the time - lately I don't want to have sex sometimes I don't even want him to touch me - I am 40 and he is 53 - I really really am in love with this man and...

When will I have sex? [ 10 Answers ]

When will I have sex? What age I'm desperate to know?:(

No Sex! [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 5 Years and we have a 7 month old baby, when we started dating we were having sex 3-4 times a week then my hormones were unbalanced for like 2 year and we were having sex like once a month. Now that I had the baby I am very sexualy active and he never...

View more questions Search