Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2005, 05:24 PM
    Outside outlet problem
    Hello anyone,

This is the first time I've done this so I hope I explain this O K

I have an outlet on the outside of my home ,actually there are two,
    One in the front and one in the back of the house. Whenever I plug anything like Christmas lights or the swimming pool filter into either of them a circuit breaker on an outlet in the upstairs bathroom pops out and both outlets and bathroom outlets do not work for a while. I can not push the breaker back in for at least a Half hour and only when I unplug whatever I have outside, obviously. I have been told I need to connect to two outside outlets to a new circuit but I do not know where to start.

jsb
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jul 5, 2005, 06:09 PM
    Sounds like its time to call in an electrician... something might not be functioning correctly such as a bad receptacle, etc. that may cause it to do that... but I would suggest calling an electrician who will have test equipment, etc. to figure out all those issues... maybe some of the experts will have an opinion also, best of luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2005, 07:41 PM
    To start with, plug in the filter and what you were plugging in in the front somewhere else, use a extension cord if you need to. If they kick the other breaker out, the devices are bad. Does the outlet in the bathroom have a circuit breaker or is it a GFCI outlet? GFCI outlets usually have a red reset button plus a yellow test button and are one rectangle instead of the 2 part round pieces. I know modern codes require GFCI on outlets in the bathroom or outside. I would go buy 3 GFCI outlets, replacing all 3 outlets. They used to be expensive, but are only about $5 now. Put each of the outside outlets on its own circuit. In rerouting the wires for new feed to the outside outlets, make sure any splices are in a box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions that I need help on. I recently moved into my home and discovered a few things. 1. 12-2 wire has been ran throughout the house. Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2?? 2. How many lights would you say you can run on 12-2 and/or 14-2 wire? 3. How...

Gfi outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved into the house in May. I believe the gfi outlet was working when the inspector inspected our house, but it seemed soon after it stopped working. We tried to press the reset button just in case the test button was pressed and nothing happens (meaning it won't depress or anything). Just...

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

GFI outlet vs girlfriend breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a difference functionally between a GFI outlet and a GFI breaker? I am installing a jetted tub in the basement. The water pump has the two loose wires (+ground) and indicates the connection to be made in junction box and be protected by a GFI. A GFI for my type breaker is $300. I had...

View more questions Search