Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notthistime Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Money being put into my account that is not mine
    Right, it's a complicated one but stay with me.
    I knew I had a dd coming out of my halifax single account and into my halifax joint account for £340 but I didn't have enough funds in it so I made a one off payment through the internet from my abbey bank account as I was in the process of changing banks and my pay had went into my new abbey account. Then my halifax sent a letter saying that I didn't have enough funds in my single account but as a one off gesture they would pay the £340 into my joint account and the fine would be £20. However when I looked online at my halifax single account I saw that the money from the abbey had reached my halifax account in time. I rang the halifax to complain and they said not to worry and that I wouldn't be charged a fee as it was there mistake and the funds were there.

Still with me?
    However, a couple of days later another £340 when into my halifax joint account. Not from mine or my partners account, it had no reference other than visa debit payment. I rang halifax to make sure that the money had not been taken out of my account twice. They confirmed it had not and they did not know who it was from as it was a bacs payment.

Now I'm guessing the halifax must be putting this money in my account. However it's just a guess. I've already rang them but they couldn't confirm were it was coming from. What do I do? If the halifax don't claim it and they don't know were it's coming from but I know it's not mine when can I claim it as my own.

Oh I almost forgot, this has been going on for 4 months now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
    It is a bank error, in a month, 5 month they will find it and take it back.

Don't do anything with it, it is not your money, don't spend it, leave it there till the mistake is cleared
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 07:50 AM
    I'm going to guess on this : The bank will discover it's internal mistake and adjust things accordingly. You know it's not yours because you didn't put it there. They'll make the correction, so don't spend it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College Student Looking to Invest - Where to Put My Money? [ 9 Answers ]

Like the title says, I'm a 19 year old college student looking to invest what money I've saved over the last year or so. I've managed to save roughly $10,000 to put towards investing (planning to eventually use it for a down-payment on a home), but my question lies in where to put my money. I...

Should I accept money not that's not mine? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take...

WHAT account would I place this money in [ 4 Answers ]

Bills are sent to for services provided in feb. for the amount of $800. What account would I debit the 800 to? Cash, sales revenue, accounts receivable, or retained earnings

Banks taking money out of your account [ 3 Answers ]

Can a bank take money out of your bank account to pay your credit card with out your permission

Money not mine, but will send to me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take...

View more questions Search