Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adlowe Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jul 5, 2005, 04:23 PM
    Foul odor = Desulfovibrio
    Dealing with a foul odor from hot water (no problem with cold water) that coincided with installing a new anode rod in the water heater. (Original info here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...ight=foul+odor ) Got a "premium" anode rod and had the same problem. Experiments with pieces of the old rod and water drained from the heater did NOT produce any odor. Online searching led me to suspect Desulfovibrio.

Pulled the new anode rod, scraped off some of the white coating that formed (calcium?) and added 2 pints of bleach before reinserting the rod. "Pulled" chlorinated water through all faucets (including washing machine and dishwasher) and let everything "cook" overnight. It took a while to clear the chlorine smell but the foul odor is completely gone.
    Since the Desulfovibrio probably lives in the well water, I expect that a new colony will grow in the water heater unless I develop an effective maintenance routine to prevent it. Questions:
    O Will "cranking up" the water softener to get softer water reduce/eliminate the calcium on the anode rod? Reduce/eliminate the Desulfovibrio?
    O Should I be scraping the calcium off the anode rod?
    O Since I don't want to turn up the temperature in the water heater (can't scald the kids!), what kind of things should I do?
    - Regular (monthly?) chlorine in the water heater? Can I use swimming-pool chlorine pellets?
    - Would hydrogen peroxide be as/more effective?
    - Would a curved cold-water-inlet tube help?
    - Is there something else I should do?
    - Would replacing the conventional water heater with an "on demand" system solve this problem?

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 6, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adlowe
    Dealing with a foul odor from hot water (no problem with cold water) that coincided with installing a new anode rod in the water heater. (Original info here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...ight=foul+odor ) Got a "premium" anode rod and had the same problem. Experiments with pieces of the old rod and water drained from the heater did NOT produce any odor. Online searching led me to suspect Desulfovibrio.

Pulled the new anode rod, scraped off some of the white coating that formed (calcium?) and added 2 pints of bleach before reinserting the rod. "Pulled" chlorinated water through all faucets (including washing machine and dishwasher) and let everything "cook" overnight. It took a while to clear the chlorine smell but the foul odor is completely gone.
    Since the Desulfovibrio probably lives in the well water, I expect that a new colony will grow in the water heater unless I develop an effective maintenance routine to prevent it. Questions:
    o Will "cranking up" the water softener to get softer water reduce/eliminate the calcium on the anode rod? Reduce/eliminate the Desulfovibrio?
    o Should I be scraping the calcium off the anode rod?
    o Since I don't want to turn up the temperature in the water heater (can't scald the kids!), what kind of things should I do?
    - Regular (monthly?) chlorine in the water heater? Can I use swimming-pool chlorine pellets?
    - Would hydrogen peroxide be as/more effective?
    - Would a curved cold-water-inlet tube help?
    - Is there something else I should do?
    - Would replacing the conventional water heater with an "on demand" system solve this problem?

Thanks.
    It would appear that the problem started when you replaced the first anode rod. If you have the Desulfovibrio bacteria in your well then it's a well problem and not a water heater one but since you say you have sweet cold water it's doubtful that's the source . Have the hot water tested and nail down the source. By "curved water inlet tube" are you referring to the dip tube that directs cold water to the bottom of the tank? Where would I find one and how could it help with the smell? Cheers, Tom
    karma Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 6, 2005, 11:15 AM
    Do you have galvanized pipes in the house?
    Sometimes plumbers replace one pipe (the cold water pipe for example) and not the other. Rust may have developed on any galvanized piping coming from the heater and may be causing the odor.just a thought. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul Smell [ 11 Answers ]

I've owned my house for about 7 years now. The house is about 22 years old. Recently I ve had black particles coming out of the toilet when flushed and also, at times I smell a sewer smell coming out of my kitchen sink. The smell only stays for a couple of seconds. Can anyone tell me what I should...

Foul smell in kitchen drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a problem with a very bad odor in my kitchen sink drain since the weather got warm. My home is new and is a manufactured home in a park. I have used gel drain openers followed by boiling water and when that did not work I used a box of baking soda, 1cup of salt and 1 cup of vinegar, let...

The basketball foul line? [ 1 Answers ]

OK. Well I have a basketball hoop in my driveway. I need someone to tell me where to mark the foul line cause I have to try out next season and I need a basketball 7th grade girl to tell me. Please comment or whatever. Spicer.

Foul odors [ 7 Answers ]

Help- I have a situation where I must create the odor of rotting garbage and human waste. No, this is not a joke, it is a paying job. (Not much, but a job). I need to cover an area about 100' x 100' for 5 seconds or so. I can launch a chemical into the air, fan out a powder, or? Any ideas are...

New anode rod = foul odor [ 1 Answers ]

With the assistance posted here I was able to remove the old anode rod from my water heater and install a new one. The old one was down to a steel wire -- I have no idea how long it was in there. Since installing the new one we've been getting a foul odor from the hot water. It has been getting...

View more questions Search