Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boop21197 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2007, 05:40 PM
    About my son SSI payment
    :confused: I have a 17 year old son who is mildie mental retared, and get SSI, now when he turn 18, does he need to be re-tested for his disabilty? Or does he have to apply for himself since he will be turning 18? And will his check go up? And will he be able to work so many hours a mo. We live in virginia
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boop21197
    :confused: I have a 17 year old son who is mildie mental retared, and get SSI, now when he turn 18, does he need to be re-tested for his disabilty? or does he have to apply for himself since he will be turning 18? and will his check go up? and will he be able to work so many hours a mo. ? we live in virginia
    I do not think that he will need to be retested. He will still need someone to be in charge of his check. The check should still come in your name, usually for a check to be given out in his name you would have to talk to the case worker and tell them that he is responsible enough to take care of his own check. Then they may want to test him to see if he is capable of handling his own affairs.. I do not think he will get a raise if he continues to live with you. If you ask his worker she can tell you how many hours he can work with out it affecting his check. I have an uncle in Kentucky that is retarded that receives SSI. My son received SSI due to a medical disabilty, but when I started working he became inelligble. WE were never asked to have him retested for his illness. Because he can always have a relaspe. But the rules for each state varies. For example, in Kentucky if you receive 1 dollar in SSI you are eligble to receive medicare, in Ohio that is not the case. They still go by your total earned income, my son never had a medical card in the 10 years he was on SSI. On his eligbilty letter that he receives there should be a 1800 number they should be able to answer all of your questions, and accurately for your state.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Your son may be cut off from disability because he is now an adult and the rules for qualifying are different. If he is cut off, please contact an attorney.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 05:35 AM
    I had no problem with my son and he is still eligible for checkups.
    They are allowed to work something between 20 to 30 hours a week.
    I think they only need retested if it is considered something that may not be life long
    If there is a chance of improvement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ssi disability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and filed bankruptcy in 2001 and confident I will win my disability case, can IRS or anyone get any of my settlement or monthly check. Any help will be appreciated

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

SSI reinstatement [ 1 Answers ]

I currently get SSI and Medicaid due to several disabilities. In the future I may get a one lump payment from a family trust which will temporarily put me over the income limit, probably for a few months after I pay off my debts and then I will still be disabled and broke again and in the same...

SSI and bank account [ 1 Answers ]

I have had an excellent credit rating all my life but at age 48, I am now on SSI disability and am worried I may not be able to keep paying on my $10,000 credit card debt. Knowing from reading other questions here, creditors cannot touch SSI but can go after a bank account after SSI sends a...

Ssi and ssdi [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if a privet person sue you when you are on ssi and ssdi thank you

View more questions Search