Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclesams Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
    L1 Visa from Canada
    Question:

I have been working in the US for a few years now - but this year 2006 was the first year I actually received a paycheck and W2. Since I did not make any money in Canada, and my only income is in the US.

1) Since I have an extension in what forms do I file in the US?

2) Do I also file Canadian Tax Return even though I made zero

3) What is the penalty for filing late, is it interest + set amount/% ?

Thanks so much.

Rich:)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 07:13 AM
    1) You will probably file Form 1040 as a resident alien.

2) Do not know; no expertise in Canadian taxes.

3) If you have a refund due, there are NO penalties and interest. If you owe, the late penalty is 5% of the taxes due per month for the first 5 months, PLUS compounded interest at about 8% annually, PLUS potential negligence penalties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 US visa travel to canada [ 3 Answers ]

Does a citizen of a third world country required to have a canadian tourist visa though he/she been living in the US for almost 4 years and currently holding a H4 visa? I will trully appriciate the replies... tnx a lot and have a nice day... :)

Do I need a visa to go to Canada or Mexico [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I am permanent resident in the US, do I need a visa or interview from the following country's embassy to be able to travel there? Thanks

Does my nephew need a visa to go to Canada? [ 4 Answers ]

I am an American Citizen living in Austin, Texas. I am planning to visit the Canadian side of the Niagara Falls on July 3 to 5, 2007 with my husband and my parents who are US legal residents, and with my nephew (13 years old) who is visiting us for vacations. My question is: Does my nephew...

VISA to Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

Since I am brazilian, living in the US, and now I know I need a Visa to go to Canada, even if I depart from the US, is there any chances to apply for a Visa to Canada in the US? How can I do that? Thank you... :)

Visa do Canada! [ 1 Answers ]

I am brazilian, living in the U.S. with a F1 Visa, and If I decide to visit Canada, do I need a Visa? Since I am not american, and if I was in Brazil, I know they require Visa to go to Canada, if you depart from Brazil... Do I need Visa departing from the U.S. Thank you

View more questions Search