Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Can I feed my 3 month old cow's milk?
    Have a 3 month old and am wondering if I can give him any type of cow's milk, whether it be whole, 2%, etc. I know its not RECOMMENDED, but am wondering what will happen. Thank you.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
    No, It is not recommended until a baby is at least one year old. To start introducing cows milk.

Here is a website.

From formula to cow's milk: Making the transition

Nurses and other care givers that we have had has all said the same thing. Introduce cows milk at 12 months of age.
    liet Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2007, 05:39 PM
    If you are having financial problems purchasing formula; check with your local health department as to where you can receive vouchers for baby formula.

Many, many years ago, I received a monthly supply of baby formula for a year; I had to apply through one of the city run health clinics.
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Oh yeah I'm already on WIC :) It was just a curiosity question, I figured it might get him off formula sooner, since I heard somewhere formula has things in it that aren't that great for babies.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Babies can not digest dairy products. Like said above - you should not introduce milk until he is 12 months old. When you do so, you need to do whole milk. But not before he is a year old. In all actuality he should not be on any thing but formula until he is 6 months old.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Well I gave my first son whole milk at 7 months and he was fine with it. But thanks for your response, I figured it wouldn't be good for him, I was just wondering if I can introduce it yet or not. :)
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Wow. What does your ped. Say? When it came to feeding my daughter - I was freaked out about trying anything - afraid of allergies or whatever. Since I was a "newbie", I did everything by the book (written by her dr.) :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
    My son was an eater. At 7 months he was already completely eating nothing but food, and didn't want formula. All he wanted was something to quench his thirst, so I gave him 4 oz. milk bottle and waited to see how he would react to it. He was fine. My Ped said as long as he is handling it OK, then he would be fine. :)
    emtannie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 02:06 PM
    I would not recommend it at this age, his belly is not developed enough yet. I have 4 boys and I am not a mother "by the book" at all. I will admit with my youngest he did get cows milk a lot sooner and that was only because when he became mobile he would find his brothers cup left on the floor & from time to time and he would drink out of their cups. He seemed OK and still is, but he wasn't 3 months either.
    peanut6966 Posts: 43, Reputation: 7

Jul 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Babies under 1 can not igest cows milk. It gives then diahrea and can actually dehydrate them and they are also more prone to allergies if you give it to them too young. I started giving my daughters soy milk when they were around 8 months old instead of forumla because they started eating baby food all the time and didn't really like the formula anymore.
    Also only whole milk for children under 2, after the age of 2 then you can use 2% :)
    bella144 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 11:20 AM
    No you can not give your 3 month old baby cows milk.:eek: not until one years old. It doesn't have enough iron in it and your baby can't digest it. Formula has to meet certain requirements so i don't know what bad stuff is in it that you are talking about. A 3 month old baby should only be drinking breast milk or formula.
    momof1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    have a 3 month old and am wondering if I can give him any type of cow's milk, whether it be whole, 2%, etc. I know its not RECOMMENDED, but am wondering what will happen. Thank you.
    You can make your own formula with evaporated milk you can Google it..! You can ask your doctor about it I'm sure the doc will agree
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by momof1
    You can make your own formula with evaporated milk you can google it ....!! you can ask your doctor about it i'm sure the doc will agree
    Wow are you serious? I never knew that.. lol.

People are misunderstanding why I asked that question.

Its not that I can't afford it. I have WIC, and whatever extra I need besides what WIC gives me, I can more than enough afford it. One of my friends (admittedly not the smartest person in the world) told me that cow's milk is healthier than formula. That's why I asked. :)
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Goat milk is a perhaps somewhat safer, if considerably more expensive and far less readily available alternative in the US, though neither one is highly recommended. Some good info here:

GOT GOAT'S MILK?

Hope this is of some help.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Thomas I was always told that goats milk would cause the teeth to turn brown or dark colored. Now this may be an old wives tale as I am from the South.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
    About the cows milk, my son, almost 18 years ago, when he was put on enfamil every time he had a bottle he had a bowel movement with 5 minutes of nursing, dr took him off it and put him on soy, then he coldn't have a bm. So I came up with 1/2 enfamil and 1/2 cows milk and his bm's were fine. I could not let him have a bm with each bottle nor could I let hem be constipated either.. But my other children did fine on formula, the last one did not give up formula until she was about 16 months old. She loved it. Also I came from a family that always gave their children cows milk, sometimes directly from the cow, and added iron and karo syrup to it. Just my experience.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Wow, I never thought of half formula half milk. Did any of your kids have a bad problem with spitting up? Mine spit up regular formula, so I put him on soy thinking that would be better, but he spits that up too. I burp him and all that stuff you are supposed to do. Any suggestions on what I can do about this? Someone told me its because it is so hot here in Florida the formula curdles in his stomach causing him to spit up. Is that true?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Sounds like he may have reflux. Have you talked to your ped about Enfamil AR? For acid reflux, made a world of difference with my son. Tennessee heat is not much different from Florida heat.

The only problem was that, 5 years ago, it was not covered by WIC, but I was able to get it covered by medical insurance through a doctor's prescription.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Sounds like he may have reflux. Have you talked to your ped about Enfamil AR? For acid reflux, made a world of difference with my son. Tennessee heat is not much different from Florida heat.

The only problem was that, 5 years ago, it was not covered by WIC, but I was able to get it covered by medical insurance through a doctor's prescription.
    Wow, I didn't even know that existed. All WIC covers, as far as I know, is Nestle Good Start. He is on the soy version of that right now. But I will definitely check into that at my next appointment.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Yes, it was what stopped my youngest from "spitting up." He had Acid Reflux, hence the AR in the Enfamil. Doesn't have it anymore, but did as an infant.

It is NOT covered by WIC, again that was 5 years ago, and is relatively expensive, but I was able to get it covered by insurance as the doctor prescribed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I feed my 6 month old baby girl? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know if my baby girl is eating good. This is what she eats : 8-9 6ounze bottles of powder milk 2 3ounze plates of rice cereal 2- cans of fruit (gerber) Some of my food as well like rice, banana, bread ,soup What do you think!!

How much should I feed my 5 month old Lab? [ 1 Answers ]

I feed my 5 month old Lab 2 cups of food each morning, and night. Is that the correct amount? Thanks

Delaware month to month tenant notification of moving out [ 2 Answers ]

Information on the Delaware notification of intent to vacate premises for month to month Tenants. Property management office states you need to give them sixty day notice And then I heard you only have to get a 30 day notice which is it. :confused: royal

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

View more questions Search