Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tghazzawi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Connecting 2 PC's using a router
    Hi,

I have two laptops (both with windows xp) at home and they are connected wirelessly to the internet through a WRT54GL v1.1 linksys router (both laptops have a built-in wireless card). How could I connect my two laptops together wirelessly through the router and be able to access the files on either laptop through the other. Please I need a step by step solution.

Thank You
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 7, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Each laptop needs to be in the same workgroup. Each laptop needs to have file sharing turned on, and a folder setup for sharing.

Hold down the "windows" key and press "pause/break" key to open the system properties window.

Under the "Computer Name" tab, check the workgroup name on both laptops. Change the workgroup name to identical ones on each laptop, by pressing the "change" button.

To enable file sharing, create a new folder. Right-click the folder and select "sharing and security".

If it is the first time sharing, click the link when it says "Just enable fire sharing" (or something similar).

Under the "sharing" tab, select the button "Share this folder on the network". You can give the shared folder a name or leave it blank. Default is read-only, but my checking the box below it, it can be read-write.

Now open "My Network Places", and click on "view workgroup computers". You should see the other laptop with the name given in "system properties". Double-click it, and the shared folder should be available.

Create as many shared folders as you like, and they should all appear as above.

Do this for each laptop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptaop to my DSL router [ 1 Answers ]

I have Qwest DSL with moden and wireless light is on in modem but my laptaop does connect, I show three connections with X's through them

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Relatively new to PC's [ 15 Answers ]

I've owned an Imac for awhile. I learned on Mac's, and did pretty much everything else with them, but I own a PC now. (Not exactly a replacement, just an upgrade. I still use my Imac) Over the years I have had it I learned to fix various problems and other things about how the OS works.. etc. ...

2 pc's connection [ 7 Answers ]

I have an older PC running win98se. It has a program on it that downloads my diabetic information from my blood monitor through a serial port. I am going to get a new computer soon but my software for this program is not compatibale with Xp and the software company says it will not be providing...

View more questions Search