Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesmis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Cat not cleaning herself
    I have a 15 year old female cat who is a very good cat and has always kept herself well groomed. In the past couple of months, her fur is becoming slightly clumped and is always shedding no matter how much we try to clean the excess fur off. I have also noticed she is not cleaning herself. She has also lately (in the past year) been drinking a ton of water and has taken to haunting the garage and house (she used to be a very active outside cat). Is this just a sign of old age or is there something I can do to get her to start cleaning herself?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Old age is more than likely a factor but if she is drinking more than normal id have her seen by the vet just to make sure she is OK and doesn't have a infection.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Drinking excessive amounts could also indicate diabetes. I would take her to the vet.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 8, 2007, 04:11 PM
    It could be diabetes,kidney failure,urinary tract,and even thyroid.Another thing is feline leukemia,only because of hair becoming unhealthy.There is definitley something wrong.If her litter box is full of urine,and I mean soaked,more than likely it's diabetes.Take her to your vet and ask for a general health profile,this should answer all your questions,except for feline leiukemia and FIP.There is a separate test for these diseases.Let us know what you find out.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

Cat litter and cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

Hi just want o no what type of litter do you use for your can't and how do you clean if after its dirty, like do you put in the garden or the bin?

View more questions Search