Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pancake92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 02:16 AM
    How to calm down my dog
    I have a 2yr old dog who is very hyper. Every time I let her out she squeaks, and runs down the stairs and on my way down the stairs she runs back up and jumps all over me till I let her out the door. She does this every time I let her out.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:32 AM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

This will take some work. You may have to put a leash on her for a while to enforce not going down the steps first.

More exercise should help too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

Paranoid father, how do I get him to calm down? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been friends with this girl for over a year, and I finally asked her to date me in January. Her father and I had become really good friends during the time we were hanging out, but as soon as I started dating his daughter, he flipped out and basically hates me now. He limited us to holding...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search