Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goofyphd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Does 401K Loan Interest Change Basis?
    Does the loan interest repaid to a 401K increase the basis of the 401K since the interest paid to your account is actually after tax income?
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Jul 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goofyphd
    Does the loan interest repaid to a 401K increase the basis of the 401K since the interest paid to your account is actually after tax income?
    Generally 401k contributions are not included in taxable income. As such no basis. Interest paid on loan is required by regulation without indicating a factor for basis.

Jul 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Hello Delite

In light of your response, here is some additional background: When I began repaying my 401K loan (1980's), interest was a deductable expense. While at that time I could certainly not claim both an interest deduction and an increase in the 401K basis, the interest-deductability rules changed over the years. Therefore, I actually kept detailed records of both deductable and nondeductable interest over the life of the loan(s). Did the IRS not consider this or did they make the rules to cover both scenarios?

By the way, I have never seen an comparison of "401K loans vs other ways of raising cash" that considers this tax consequence.

Goofyphd
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Jul 7, 2007, 05:19 PM
    During the time frame when interest was deductible you should have deducted said interest if indeed it was deductible since in essence you paid interest to yourself. I doubt it was deductible and there is no option to create a basis for a 401k plan.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 07:08 AM
    I agree with Delite.

If you deducted the interest on a 401K loan, you got away with an invalid deduction.

There is NO basis for your 401K, as the distributions are taxed as normal income, NOT capital gains.

Jul 9, 2007, 10:27 PM
    Hello ATE

Are you sure?

Even back when interest on credit cards was deductable? Seems to me I was deducting the interest on my 401K loan back in the early eighty's. I recall that this deductability was phased away over several years, and, of course, today we could not take this deduction.

Thanks for your input.

Goofyphd
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2007, 06:41 AM
    You are correct. There was a time when credit card interest was a deductible expense, and the interest on a 401K loan was considered deductible. However, that has no bearing on your 401K. Even though you are essentially paying the interest to yourself, the two things are totally separate. The interest you paid is considering income earned by the 401K just like other income paid into the plan. It doesn't matter WHERE the income came from. ALL the income earned by the plan is then taxed on distribution as normal income.

The impact of the tax deductibility of the interest was confined to the tax year you claimed it. And has no bearing after that.

Jul 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Thanks to all for the input. First time I've used this forum, and I was quite pleased.

Goofyphd
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Scott explained it best.

Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

Equity Loan Interest [ 7 Answers ]

How much of a home equity loan can I place on my primary home and still be able to deduct the interest? I paid $382000.00 for it, have a $70000 on now and need to take out Another $110000.00. Its worth $750000.00 Thanks

401K loan and interest expense [ 1 Answers ]

If you borrowed money from your 401 K, is the interest tax deductilbe for the borrower? Does the 401 K give you a year end report ?

Treatment of interest on loan [ 1 Answers ]

What is the correct accountring treatment of interest on partnesrs loan,i.e which account is to be debited and the account to be credited .

Student Loan Interest [ 1 Answers ]

I paid student loan interest in 2005 and 2006. Can I claim both years interest on this years tax return?

View more questions Search