Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Jul 6, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Curvature of the Earth
    First off, don't worry this is not a home work assignment:) . I am just hoping someone can satisfy my curiosity.

At 6'5", how far would I be able to look over a large body of calm water or a perfectly flat land mass until an item that was moving a way from me would drop below the curvature of the Earth?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 6, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Hold on, buddy! This question is giong to draw a crowd! "Perfectly flat AND curvature of the Earth...?"

Let's start with: what is the heigth of the object departing? What latitude are you veiwing from? Altitude where you're standing..

We want to know it all...

Effects of the Earth's Curvature and Atmospheric Refraction: on estimating a target's position
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
    I was taught that the line of sight on the ocean is 12 miles, I have no idea if this is a proven fact but it is a starting place.

Jul 6, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Well, lets say a truck at 39 degrees, altitude 2000 ft.

Jul 6, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    I was taught that the line of sight on the ocean is 12 miles, I have no idea if this is a proven fact but it is a starting place.

That's the term I should have used."Line of sight". That's what I was curious about.

Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 06:12 AM
    You can use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the line of sight for a person whose eyes are meters above the horizon. Assuming a perfectly round earth, the distance to the horizon is:

To just be able to barely see the top of the truck of height slip below the horizon, you add

If you use 2 meters for both and , the total distance is about 17.5 Km, or 10.8 miles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Magnatism in the earth [ 3 Answers ]

How is the earth like a magnet.. :confused:

How far is the galaxy from the earth [ 8 Answers ]

I want to know how far is the galaxy from the earth How far is the galaxy for the earth

What on earth is going on with my relationship? [ 39 Answers ]

Hello all, Firstly I would like to say that I am very thankful for this site. I have been going out with my girlfriend for 5 weeks now. The first 4 weeks were absolute bliss, we connected on all levels and share the same goals as each other (im 30 she is 26) We see each other nearly...

View more questions Search