Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krazo1961 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2005, 10:40 AM
    Update: Safe Mode freezes at logon screen post
    Hello once more,

I have an update on my Safe Mode freezing problem (the original post is below). I was able finale able to boot into Safe Mode. Even though successful how it did it it still raises a question. I will explain below.

If you read my original post at the top of this thread you will remember the point it froze at was as soon as I clicked my cursor on my Admin account picture at the welcome screen. The password box popped up and my cursor wouldn’t move and when I tried to type none of my key strokes came up (PS2 mouse & keyboard).

Well after I unplugged the PC and plugged it back in to get out of the big freeze like usual I though about were it froze at each time, after I clicked and the password box popped up and decide to try something.

I went to User Accounts and got rid of requiring a password at logon. Then I booted to safe mode and at the welcome screen simply clicked on the picture to logon and instead of freezing it worked.

Why would not requiring at password at logon solve the freezing up in Safe Mode?

I don’t really need as password on either account as it is just my wife and I who use it but if at some point we do want or need to put logon passwords on the accounts we won’t be able to get into Safe Mode like before.

Can any one shed some light on this new twist?

Thanks

****************ORIGINAL POST**************

Hello,

I have a Windows XP Pro Safe Mode problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop (nearly three months old).

First let me say I religiously keep my antivirus up to date. I have Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Spy Sweeper, PestPatrol, Microsoft AntiSpyware and I use HijackThis. I only use one of the Spyware programs for active protection. I can account for all of my running processes and startup entries including those starting from the Registry.

I scan my system (Spyware and viruses) after turning off system restore then I booted into safe mode (that was my routine before this problem). I keep my web surfing to a minimum. I use my banks site, news sites etc. This problem only recently happened. I have no problems booting up into Windows and every thing runs great. I never have had a virus or been hit with spy ware etc because of that routine.

The problem only when try to boot into Safe Mode. I press F8 then select Safe Mode. It runs the process of booting into Safe Mode all the way to the Welcome screen where it displays the picture for my Administrator Account and my personal Account (also an Administrator Account).

My mouse works fine, it moves freely around the screen to mouse over what ever account I choose to log into but when I click the picture and the password box comes up for me to type into my system freezes right there. The password box has that blinking line like its ready for me to type in my password but when I type none of my key strokes work, nothing goes into the box.

I type and it doesn’t respond. My mouse cursor is frozen right were I last clicked (it looks like a little glove not an arrow), I can’t move it. I am sitting there locked up and the only way I can get out is to unplug my computer (were it it boots up perfectly into Windows). I have my system setup so when I press the power button the box pos up for me to shut down or restart but that doesn’t work because I can’t press enter or move my mouse over.

Dell’s solution as it is for any thing big and small is to restore the system back to it factory shipped state using their restore function (wiping all my programs and settings out). Windows Restore did nothing either I forgot to mention. I am hoping some one has had this happen or heard of it and has a solution other than starting from zero. Any way or thing any of you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated. I’ll try it first before I use any drastic measures.

Windows performs flawlessly, all programs, functions, applications, drivers and hardware run perfect it’s just this ‘Safe Mode’ debacle that’s got me.

Thanks for your help.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2005, 05:32 AM
    Safe Mode
    Hi,
    I read from a Google search that this does happen with XP Home, but should not happen with XP Pro.
    Why? I can't find out either why it happened with Pro, or with Home for that matter!
    Searching Microsoft.com didn't reveal any answers either.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WIN XP freezes at Safe Mode (on logon screen) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Windows XP Pro Safe Mode problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop (nearly three months old). First let me say I religiously keep my antivirus up to date. I have Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Spy Sweeper, PestPatrol, Microsoft AntiSpyware and I use HijackThis. I...

After winXP reinstall, screen looks like Safe Mode? 64 bit? How do I fix it? [ 7 Answers ]

I had to reinstall Windows XP on my parents computer and now, everything is HUGE! It looks like Safe Mode but with the background display and everything else in the XP style. Its like a 64 bit gaming system or something... How do I get it back to normal?

HELP! Want to Logon using Welcome Screen! [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, the way I logon (Windows XP) to my own PC is using the Classic Command Prompt and I have been trying to switch to the Welcome Screen in which a user can simply click on his/her name rather than having to type out a user name and password. In order to attempt to switch to the Welcome...

View more questions Search