Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aureller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Oil paint shelf life
    What is the average shelf life of artist oil paints? Thanks you!
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 6, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Depending on what chemical composition makes the colour you oil paints could outlive you. As long as you can keep the oil mixed into the pigment. If it has separated get a little jar (glass) large enough to hold the entire tube. Cut open the tube and pour the fluids into the jar and then scoop the solid pigments left behind into the jar. Mix them back together until the consistency is correct. If it is still too thick then add linseed oil a drop at a time until proper consistency is obtained. When not in use wrap the jar in aluminum foil to protect it from light so that its colours are not subjected to photosensitivity within the jar in its wet state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shelf life of vitamins [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bunch of vitamins that have no expiration date on the bottle. How long do vitamins generally last? I'm not sure if I should throw these away.

Red wine shelf life? [ 6 Answers ]

What's a safe estimate for storing unopened red wine if you don't have a wine cellor or cooler? I just keep it in a cool and dark place, but don't want to risk it turning. How long do I have? Janie

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Safe storing cheeze on the shelf? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it necessary for cheese to be refridgerated? Or is it okay for it to be shelfed?

Shelf life of vitamins [ 1 Answers ]

What is the "shelf life" of vitamin E, also of "Omega-3" capsules? Is it, can it be useful or harmful to take same after expiry date of one year or more? Many thanks !

View more questions Search