Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    conroy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Leaking cast iron waste pipe
    First, my thanks to those who answered my last question. I epoxied the pipe and covered it with mastik. Still a few small drips but I think another coat will fix the problems.

Sink drains fine, tub drains fine, toilet is the one that causes the drips. My thinking is that the waste pipe has a partial clog. I've been here for over 20 years, lots of daughters who generate lots of hair etc. I've had the main roto-rootered a few times over the years but this one is off on a separate line.

Because of the patches I don't think roto-rooter is an option. There is a clean-out cap right at the end of the horizontal pipe and if I could get that open I'd probably be able to flush it out myself. But the cap is on tight - can't budge it with a monkey wrench.

Any ideas on how to loosen the cap?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by conroy
    First, my thanks to those who answered my last question. I epoxied the pipe and covered it with mastik. Still a few small drips but I think another coat will fix the problems.

Sink drains fine, tub drains fine, toilet is the one that causes the drips. My thinking is that the waste pipe has a partial clog. I've been here for over 20 years, lots of daughters who generate lots of hair etc. I've had the main roto-rootered a few times over the years but this one is off on a separate line.

Because of the patches I don't think roto-rooter is an option. There is a clean-out cap right at the end of the horizontal pipe and if I could get that open I'd probably be able to flush it out myself. But the cap is on tight - can't budge it with a monkey wrench.

Any ideas on how to loosen the cap?
    Try tapping it (the monkey wrench) with a hammer in reverse (tightening) and then back it out by tapping on it again with a hammer.

If you can tighten it in a bit, you'll break up the pipe dope in the threads.
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 6, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Hey there!

I had a similar problem, and I was really scared that I'd break the fitting...

Things I tried:

- tapping the outside of the fitting, and the plug with a hammer
    - heating the fitting with a torch until it was way too hot to touch (I was very worried that uneven heating might cause the CI to crack)
    - using a cold chisel and a hammer to 'drift' the plug around
    - lots and lots of PB Blaster (penetrating oil) over two weeks time
    - an 18" pipe wrench, with me (180lbs) literally hanging/bouncing off the end of it
    - hammering on the pipe wrench with a 5lb sledge

What finally worked? Goo-Gone.
    Amazon.com: Goo Gone: Home Improvement

I soaked a rag in this stuff and draped it around the plug, where the Rector-seal was all gooped up (see pics in the link below). This softened the formerly-hard goo, and I was able to scrape a lot of it out and expose the female threads. Then, more goo-gone into the threads, and another four hours of soaking with the rag (cover the rag with a ziploc to contain the fumes).

FINALLY, the pipe wrench plus about another 2' of "cheater bar" and it came right out. I swear I thought I was going to break it.

Link to my post, with pics of nasty rector-seal:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ee-101860.html

~aaron
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scirocco70
    What finally worked? Goo-Gone.

I soaked a rag in this stuff and draped it around the plug, where the Rector-seal was all gooped up (see pics in the link below). This softened the formerly-hard goo, and i was able to scrape a lot of it out and expose the female threads. Then, more goo-gone into the threads, and another four hours of soaking with the rag (cover the rag with a ziploc to contain the fumes).
    BTW, they make a Goo-Gone sprayable gel as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old house. There is a 4" cast iron waste pipe that services the bathroom in the middle of the house. It has cracked across the top of the horizontal pipe in the basement right past the joint that connects the vertical to the horizontal. The length of pipe between the collars is about...

Cast iron waste [ 1 Answers ]

Removing toilet from cast iron waste

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search