Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryanewt909 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
    I have no clue how this even happened. I was at work at I went to grab a ciggarette and bam. I felt this really sharp pain in my finger. Its on my right ring finger on the bottom of my hand. I knew it had to be a blood clot because my brother had the same thing. Its my first time getting one I just don't know if I should be worried about it or not.
    ryanewt909 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
    I have no clue how this even happened. I was at work at I went to grab a ciggarette and bam. I felt this really sharp pain in my finger. Its on my right ring finger on the bottom of my hand. I knew it had to be a blood clot because my brother had the same thing. Its my first time getting one I just don't know if I should be worried about it or not.
    aprilrx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 07:53 AM

This thread is so old, I'm not sure anyone will even read this. But I've also had blood clots in my fingers. For probably about 9 months, ever so often I would wake up and the fingers on my left hand would hurt pretty bad. This would be gone by the next morning, though. Finally, one day I woke up and my whole hand was blue. After seeing many doctors, they finally figured out that I had an 8 inch blood clot in my forearm, with lots of small clots in my hand and fingers. Eventually, I ended up losing the tip of my index finger. It turned purple, then black, then the skin just kind of got hard and sluffed away, leaving only bone. The bone finally got brittle and broke off. It was horrible! The pain was excrutiating! The only cause they could come up with was smoking while taking birth control. They'd never seen anything like this. It's definitely worst case scenario. Needless to say, I've definitely warned my friends who do this. It CAN and WILL happen to you!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2009, 08:36 AM

Thanks!
    People still check this thread when something new is posted. This an incredible story (and really scary). I'm glad you "only" lost the tip of your finger and nothing more.

I hope you have quit smoking!
    CATTYSHARK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Has anyone had an update on this odd brusing since the last posting? I am a 46 yr old female, non-smoker but on the birth control pill for the past 20 years. I have had small bruising in my finger joints for many years... maybe 10... maybe longer hard to rememebr when it started. The other day I had a HUGE lump appear at the base of my pinky finger and a intense burning sensation in that finger. It took several hours for the lump to dissapate leaving a bruised finger behind. I only take the pills now to avoid periods... so I am thinking I need to stop taking them if the pill is causing blood clots.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2009, 05:29 PM

I talked to someone today whose doctor told her this was caused by high blood pressure. The doctor recommended cutting back on salt and also cardiovascular exercise for one hour three times a week. Her symptoms were identical to mine. So I am going to try this. She is not taking any blood pressure medicine, but her blood pressure has come down after only a month.

I get the bruises too.

I think you should stop taking the birth control pills if getting pregnant is not an issue. They are definitely a risk factor for blood clots. Also, do you smoke? The combination is especially bad.
    CATTYSHARK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
    I am not a smoker nor do I have high blood pressure. I am very fit... 5'4' 110 lbs and a hard body even at 46 :) I surf several times a week, work out at the gym, ride my bike, run, skateboard (with my sons at the park), etc... so it is most likely to be caused from the pill. I should be approaching menopause soon so perhaps a few days of periods is the better option... thanks for your response.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2009, 08:43 PM

My blood pressure is mostly low and has always been in the 100 over 70 range, but in the last few years I have been getting blood pressure spikes that I never used to have. I am 54, definitely not as fit as you, but active and normal bmi.

I started running this week. Pant, pant. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Blood clots [ 3 Answers ]

For the past couple of months when I get my period I have very big blood clots that come with it. This is unusual for me. Sometimes have more then 7. Is this a problem?

Blood clots [ 2 Answers ]

What is the normal size of a blood clot during a period and when shoukd you start worrying about them?

Blood Clots [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Currently On The Depo Shot After Delivering In Sept. I Haven't Had A Period Since Delivery. I Got The Shot On Dec4 This Is My 1st Period. I Have Blood Clots Bigger Than A Half Dollar. Do You Have Any Suggestions On What Is Happening. I Delivered By C-section. I Haven't Been Sexually Active...

Blood Clots/Heavy Bleeding [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently experiencing heavy bleeding during my 2nd day of my menstral with large blood clots. What could this be?

Blood clots after miscarriage [ 1 Answers ]

Last June at 5 months pregnant, I found out my baby had died. I had lost my insurance when I got pregnant and my husband and I were told to go to what turned out to be an abortion clinic for the removal. I had a very hard time during the procedure. It had to be repeated several times during the 6...

View more questions Search