Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snprasanna Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2003, 01:34 AM
    Direct Cable Connection using Ethernet ports.
    I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home.
    I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But I have no clue as to what are the steps / procees I should follow to mak this connection happen.
    I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be done in each of the units to connect the PC to Laptp.
    If there is any website which tells the same please direct me to the same.
    HelpmePlz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2003, 02:26 PM
    Hi, I am not an expert, I'm in the same situation as you but have bought the necessary equipment for the networking. I decided to go for wireless networking. Simply because I don't want to move wires every time I want to sit somewhere else with my laptop. The products that I bought were:

Belkin Notebook Network Card
    Belkin Desktop Network Card
    Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router.

Them are the items that I bought to use the same broadband connection and share files.

However, you may need something a bit different depending on what you want to do with the Laptop and Desktop PC.

The items that I bought cost £150.00 (UK Pounds, about $110)

Sorry I couldn't help you much,
    Hope it helps though.
    get_ask Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2004, 04:01 AM
    Hi ,

Usually in cat5E cable there are four pairs of cable.

Colours are as follows:

(orange & white orange)
    (brown & white brown)
    (green & white green)
    (blue & white blue)

Take the rj45 connector and the splice one end of cat5 cable insert into the connector according to the colour code given below either from left to right or from right to left.
    1)white orange
    2)orange
    3)white green
    4) blue
    5)white blue
    6)green
    7) white brown
    8) brown

With the other spliced end of the cable ,just interchange the cable connections i.e
    1)white green
    2)green
    3)white orange
    4)blue
    5)white blue
    6)orange
    7)white brown
    8)brown

Now your cross cable is ready to transfer data and communicate between two pc's without any modem or hub or any wirless communication device.

Metamorphousthe Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2004, 08:40 AM
    Go to radio shack and purchase a cross-over cable (they shouldn't be more than about $10 for a simple 5' cable. If you know how to SOHO network a few compputers to a hub, then the idea is the same except you are not using a hub and you are limited to just two computers. Connect the two computers and decide which will be the gateway, run the netwoprk setup wizard on that first and it should be assigned the 192.168.0.1 automatically, if not the r click the network icon and choose properties and manually set it's address as such, and subnet should read the default 255.255.255.0 and the gateway will read back to itself if you input 192.168.0.1 after that is done then you do the same with the other computer but make sure the address is 192.168.0.2 and reads from the gateway of 192.168.0.1 if you are using ME or other then you might have to input the name of the computer for the gateway, xp won't ask you that. If you have any firewalls, you might want to manuall;y configure to allow for the two IPs (192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2) if you still have trouble check your firewall setting for trusted zones (networked computers not internet zones) and also check your internet options securities. If you still get problems then email at: [email protected] and I will walk you through it. I like to build my own cat5 but if you are not used to doing it often with success you are better off buying one that is professionally made so that you know that your problems with connecting are not because you messed up on the rj45 plug.
    YWAM Barbados
    aecorbet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2004, 12:15 PM
    Network two units
    I am having similar problems. I have a laptop and a desk top connected with a ethernet cable. The connection through a hub is working BUT the desktop which is connected to the internet can read files on the laptop BUT the laptop is refused access to the desktop. I am the only person involved for permission. I`ve tried everything but the right one, and I d`ont know where it is. Anybody help thanks. Both pc`s are running xp pro
    Keith Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2004, 07:11 AM
    For the two pc's that can't see each other, have you setup the pc's permissions so that everyone can see the shares? Or if not, make sure that the username and password for both machines are duplicated on both machines.

But first, try running the network setup (can be found in the help in windows).. that usually fixes it :D
    blueplanet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snprasanna
    I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home.
    I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But i have no clue as to what are the steps / procees i should follow to mak this connection happen.
    I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be done in each of the units to connect the PC to Laptp.
    If ther is any website which tells the same direct me to the same.
    Go here to find the help you need - How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 8)
    Let me know if it works out!
    n0rie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 10:12 AM
    Hello all,
    Im trying to hook up to computers one laptop running windows7 the desktop running windows 2000 both have eathernet contores on them
    Pleas email back
    Email is
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethernet cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am on orange broadband and I need to connect the ethernet cable from my livebox into my computer ,however I donot have an ethernet socket on my computer so is there another way of doing this .

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Wireless/cable internet connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me. 1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I...

Ethernet cable doesn't fit in socket [ 6 Answers ]

First of all, yes, I'm putting it in the right place. I know which one is the modem socket and which one is for an ethernet cable. I've used this same socket (is that the best word?) for over a year, and it's been fine. Now, however, my ethernet cable keeps coming out of the socket. I can put...

Please help... Cable Internet Connection Not Working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: I hope someone can help me with this. I know the basics of a computer and am trying to help my neighbor with their internet connection. They have a cable connection coming into their home. They have a computer on the first floor and one on the second both running Windows XP home...

View more questions Search