Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reevesfs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 07:29 AM
    2002 Subaru Forester: Key is stuck in the ignition
    Hello! I am very new to this site and have found it to be super informative. Hopefully I'll be able to get some help from the users on here.

We just bought our 2002 Subaru Forester less than a month ago. Last night, I drove home, put the car in park, turned the car off and tried to remove my key. However, the key (which was the duplicate copy the dealership gave me) wouldn't come out. It wouldn't turn all the way to the left and was stuck two spots before you actually turn the engine on.

The service department said, when we called this morning, that it wasn't covered under our three month warranty and that they couldn't look at it today anyway.

My first question is, obviously, are there any things that I could do to try to take the key out myself? I've tried the steering wheel thing (but maybe not turning it hard enough to the left or right.) I've checked and rechecked to make sure the car's in park. Besides waiting the entire weekend to take it to the service department, should I call a locksmith or take it to a mechanic?

Secondly, since we've had this car under a month, is there any way that this should be covered under some sort of latent defect deal? I'm just upset that I've bought this car less than a month ago and the service department will charge me to look at something that is probably not contributed through any fault of my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 6, 2007, 07:37 AM
    First, go back to the dealer and ask them to show you how this would be excluded from the warranty. Generally such warranties (initial 3 months) cover just about everything , so I would be very surprised that this was not covered.

Was this a Subaru dealer? If so, then contact Subaru directly. You can register your car at their website.

If you need to repair it yourself, you will need to take it an automotive locksmith. Its possible the ignition will need to be pulled and replaced.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 08:02 AM
    See if the link below helps:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post258005

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car ignition key [ 2 Answers ]

Last night I went shopping and when I cam out of the store I could not get my car's ignition key to turn. I tried every which way.. but no good so I left the car in parking lot and took a ride back home. Car is a 92 Honda accord. Any idea of what I can do? Thanks, Al

Key stuck in the ignition [ 1 Answers ]

I had a made key for my honda DX(automatic) and now it is stuck in ignition?

Key stuck in ignition [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn off the car the key will not pull out from the ignition. The wheels will turn when they shouldn't. Any ideas?

91 Honda CRX Ignition-key gets stuck [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 1991 Honda CRX-the key keeps gettting stuck in the ignition. The dealership wants $300 just for a new ignition switch. What could be causing this? Easiest fix? Thanks

View more questions Search