Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    romero_cs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 06:46 AM
    I did not sign a lease - threatening legal action.
    In November 2006 I moved in with two friends who needed a roommate quickly, I never signed a lease. In May I was informed that one of the girlfriends of one of the house-mates would be moving in so I would have to move out in August. Due to summer vacation plans, that moving date did not suit me, so I moved out immediately (told them of my intentions May 4th, left May 7th, I had paid for all of May). They requested I pay the remainder of the lease until August, I pointed out I had not signed the lease and was thus not obliged to. They then offered for me to pay only half a months rent for each of the 3 months remaining, again I refused stating that I had not signed the lease so was not obliged to. They are now stating that if by the end of August (the expiration of the lease) they will take legal action, specifically, taking me to a small-claims court of retrieve rent for the final 3 months of the lease.

So, I am asking, do they have a case, and should I pay them?

Thanks in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 6, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Whether you signed a lease or not, you established residence, paid rent so you became a tenant. Absent a written and signed lease you were a month to month tenant. This means that the tenancy could not be terminated without notice of at least one full rental period. They gave you more than sufficient notice. You didn't.

Assuming rent was due on the 1st of the month, the law might hold you responsible for the June rental, since you gave notice after May 1st. But you should not be responsible for any rental after that point.
    romero_cs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 07:10 AM
    ScottGem, thank you for you prompt and informative answer. I will pay months rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

He Says He Is Taking Legal Action, But I'm Not on Lease! [ 8 Answers ]

I moved into an apartment in the middle of Sept 06, with two strangers I met off Craig's List. They are nice people, but irresponsible, and very very very messy. Girl lived there for 3 years. Boy for 1 year. I ended up living there for about 8 months. I never signed the lease they were on,...

Legal Action from USA to Foreign country [ 3 Answers ]

If a USA citizen is a victim of crime in a foreign country. Can he take legal action once he's back in the states? Or are the legal fees too prohibitive for those of us who aren't rich making it best just to forget about it?

Name on Lease but did not sign [ 2 Answers ]

I live in VA. Two other tenets signed the lease. I stayed there a couple of weeks. I left the house but now the landloard is saying I am responsible to pay for some rent. My name was on a lease but I have not signed it am I obligated to the house.

Wedding Video Legal Action [ 2 Answers ]

I got married in December and my wife paid a videographer to videotape our wedding. We gave him a deposit of $100 with the rest of the money to be paid upon receipt of the video. However, the videographer is no longer returning our phone calls or messages on his cell phone. He spoke with my wife...

View more questions Search