Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matcheskat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease?
    I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28.

I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent the lease deposit or secutiry deposit. I made numerous attempts to contact him and his parents by letter, phone, and email with no response. What should I do? I am planning on sending another copy of the lease with these areas highlighted and another bill registered letter to his perminant residence. Can I cancel the lease and rent his room out to someone else? I have people on a waiting list!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 6, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Send him a letter by regular mail and a copy by certified mail. Tell him that, since he is not responding to your letters, phone calls and emails, if you don't hear from him in the next 5 business days then you will have no choice but to assume that he has cancelled the lease and you will lease the room to someone else.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 6, 2007, 07:31 AM
    For future reference add the following clauses to your lease:

Lease Deposit:
    A Lease Deposit of $______ is due within 15 days of signing this document. This deposit is non-refundable. Failure to make this payment within that time will result in cancellation of the lease and forfeiture of the housing.

Security Deposit:
    A Security Deposit of $______ is due on ________. Failure to make this payment by the date indicated will result in cancellation of the lease, forfeiture of any monies previously paid and forfeiture of the housing.

If a student does not make these payments according to the terms of the lease, you can cancel the lease and offer the premises to the first person on your waiting list without doing anything more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No lease. Security deposit debacle. [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so I've been living in a room I found on Craig's List for the past 6 months. With no lease. One of my room mates is the lease holder and we pay him rent, which he in turn pays the landlord. It turns out he's been overcharging us to the extent that he actually makes a profit when rent is due. To...

Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed? [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the...

Landlord agrees to breaking Lease, now refusing to pay security deposit back [ 1 Answers ]

My Landlord told she'd never hold me to the lease if I ever wanted to move out. All I needed was to give a 30-day notice. Which is what I did and by the end of February I moved out. I have emails where my landlord agrees with breaking lease and further states that I'd be getting my security deposit...

Paid security deposit did not sign lease [ 7 Answers ]

I need to get accurate advice on my rights. I applied for an apartment and was accepted. The complex has a waiting list and I have had to wait for 2 months for the apartment to open up. I was required to give a $480 security deposit on receipt of the approval letter and have not yet signed the...

View more questions Search