Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrennaBear Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Jul 5, 2007, 07:52 PM
    High School Alternatives
    All right. I'm 15 and I really really don't belong in High School. I need to know a way that I can get my diploma in five months, when I turn 16. Because I'm dropping out so I can help my family with money. I'll probably be pulling two jobs [I already have one]. And I'm really kind of freaked out. Because I was just going to go to Job Corps. But I don't really qualify for that. But I can't stay in School. So I'm really in need of another alternative. And a way to accomplish it.
    Thank you.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Oh wow... staying in school, in some form, would probably be the best thing.

Is it possible for you to test for your GED?

If not, you may have to talk to your high school counselor about what the qualifications for early graduation are.

I wish you much luck.

Jul 7, 2007, 12:06 AM
    Yeah, I know it's pretty insane. But I need to get it done. Thank you very much. And I will look into both of those.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Can you give us more of an explanation of WHY? Are you looking to drop out bwecause your family needs help? Or are you having a problem with grades? If we know the background we may be able to suggest alternatives.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:26 AM
    If you drop out, most likely you cannot test for your GED in a few months, like you want. Perhaps each school district has their own rules about that, but here someone who drops out, has to wait a year before being eligilbe for the GED. That makes no sense, but that is the way it is.

You should be asking this question to your school guidance counselor. Or speak to someone in your school district, like the superintendent or director. In some places there are alternative high school options, but they do require a physical presence. Look into doing someone either online or long distance education in your state.

I agree with Scott, you left a great deal of information out of your post, no explanation of anything really. How do you think you are going to get two jobs with no high school degree? How is it that you do not qualify for Job Corps? What is the urgency of you dropping out and working two jobs to help your family? If your family is in this deep need for help, have they checked community resources that can help them out?

Jul 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Look, I didn't post this to get criticized. Okay if you really must know. My father is a drug addict that has ten years worth of warrants out for his arrest. My mom supports him. She has a job that pays 35,000 a year. That's for... three children, and a drug addict and herself.. . To get into Job Corps the requirements would be for my mom to make around 26,000 a year. I've been looking into as many options as I can. I'm not dropping out because my grades. I have terriffic grades, I have a 3.5GPA. My school district does let you get your GED after you drop out. As I also said, I have one job. Being 15 I can't work for more than 40 hours a week in the summer.. . I expect to get a job because I will have a GED. I may not have a diploma. But I'll have something. I've already tried other things. And the need for two jobs, I thought that would be kind of self explainatory. I have a kid I need to help raise. Otherwise I would be out of this house.

Jul 8, 2007, 04:22 AM
    First no one was criticizing you. But the more info you give us the better chance we have to help you.

Second, where's the father of your child. Have you tried to get child support?

Have you spoken to family services? Your school guidance counselor? Why are you letting your father put a drain on your family. If trhere are warrants out for his arrest why haven't they been served?

I know you think you have exhausted all your options, but we don't know that. Someone with a 3.5 GPA shouldn't have to blow off school to survive. Because all that does is continue the cycle.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 05:36 AM
    We are all here to help. If we don't know you, how can we help?
    BTW: what's with "I'm gonna live my life to destroy your world"
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Nice site you that those quotes in your signature are off, beautiful pictures.

If you manage to stick at school long (if you think you can make 5 months) enough to gradute then you will be able to get better paid jobs, which will mean your family will do better in the long run.

Also just because you can't see any other solution doesn't mean there isn't one. Perhaps you are too close to the problem.

By supporting your dad you are enabling him, which means he doen't realise he has to sort himself out. He is the adult, the responsibility for your family does not rest on you.

To look after others first you have to look after yourself. Leaving school early will help in the short term but not in the long term.

All the best to you, you are bright don't waste it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 06:47 AM
    First if your dad has warrants, sorry, he needs to go to jail, so let him go and that is one less drug issue and money wasted. Sorry don't mean to sound tough, but this is life.

You do not need and should not drop out of school, Your mom can look into government assistance, I know in TN there are many things you can get with a family and an income of that level.

Next it is not your place to pay all for the bills, and YOU are NOT, NOT, going to get a high school dipolma in 5 months, just not possible.
    And if you are school age and can be in school, in many places you are to be in school.

Doing this is the worst thing you can do, it may help for a short term, but over longer periods it will destroy your long term chances.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 06:47 AM
    It is not your responsibility to support your Father's drug addiction. If you being made to feel that way, that is wrong. Your Mother should not be supporting his addiction either. She is remaining a victim in this and you are one too now. Just as templelane said, both you and your Mother are enabling your Father's addiction. There are community resources out there to help your Father and your Mother and yourself in how to deal with the addiction and problems from the addiction. If your Father does not make the first step, then you and your Mother need to, for yourselves and your own well being. You cannot cure him, you cannot fix him - but you do not have to be part of the money train that funds his problems. Some people never get well because it is far too easy to be sick.

You dropping out from school is not going to help long term. You will lose more than you can ever gain. You have two years of high school left - two very short years. With your GPA, you could see yourself in college. You have a child to raise, then go after the child's Father for child support. Your child is owed that, there is a legal right to that.

Jul 8, 2007, 06:50 PM
    My father has been on the run from the police for a long time. He knows how to get out of it. I'm not the one enabling his drug addiction. I don't give him any money and I take all the money he has on him. I want to get my GED, that way the problems of not having a high school education are solved. I already know what I want to be. I'm going to be an electrician. So I'm not really messing things up, it's what I know. As for college, I have no reason to be there. I am going to trade school. All I need is something to get us by for the next two years. I know that there is no way to get my diploma in five months, without going to an alternative school. By far, my best choices right now are dropping out. My father has been in and out of rehabs for my entire life, I've always known that the time for me to step up will come soon. My older brother can't help out, because he's leaving when he gets the chance. He turns eighteen next year. I really don't see a way out of this. That's why I'm getting my GED. After I test for my license I'm going to get my GED then I'm dropping out. I've been thinking about this for a whjile, obviously. And that seems to be the most logical solution, you know?

And I'm sorry to have accused you of criticizing me. I was having a really bad day. I'm curently working on my brothers car. And I was supposed to meet up with my father to get me the parts I need, but he took off, so that was basically a weekend of work blown.

Jul 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
    [quote=BrennaBear]I already know what I want to be. I'm going to be an electrician. I am going to trade school.

By far, my best choices right now are dropping out.

My older brother can't help out, because he's leaving when he gets the chance. He turns eighteen next year.

I really don't see a way out of this. I've been thinking about this for a whjile, obviously. And that seems to be the most logical solution, you know?
    [quote]

That's fine that you know what you want to be, but have you checked out what is needed to become an apprentice electrician? I'm not sure what the requirements are, but I do know there is a lot of competititon for positions. Do you really think dropping out will enhance your chances of getting an apprenticeship?

Dropping out will NEVER be a best choice. It might be a last choice and a despertion choice, but never a best choice.

You mean your older brother WON'T help. Of course he CAN help, He's in a much better position to help then you are. But he just wants out so won't help. Sounds selfish to me.

You haven't told us what steps you have taken to try and get help. But dropping out is not a logical solution, its actually the illogical solution.

Jul 8, 2007, 07:52 PM
    ... first off, I can actually get an appernticeship quite easily. I know where to go, and I have made many connections. So that part is easier...
    I talked to my old principal today. She basically told me just to do what needed to get done to be able to get by. This woman has known me for the past four years. She knows my situation. I have been looking into how to go about getting my GED. I have the testing place and all the resources I need to actually take the test. I went to counseling many times. My counselor thinks that it's a waste for me not to be in school, but she understands why I need to be out of school, and she is willing to help me out with getting my GED. I am prepared for the test. I have five months before I can actually take the test. I can't do online schooling, because cost is a major factor.
    Basically, I really honestly do feel that I have exhausted all of my options. And I am more than capable of making it on my own. But emancipation is out of the question.
    I know I shouldn't have this all on my shoulders, but the thing is I DO. And it's not going away. The only way out is to get myself out of school as soon as possible, allowing me to work more.

Jul 9, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Ok, you are now showing that you have done your homework. I'm skeptical about how easy it may be to get an apprenticeship, but I'll take your word for it.

I can't, in good conscience, recommend dropping out. Finishing school will only help your future. But I do understand that the needs of the present may need to mitigate the needs of the future. I would still recommend that you continue to explore other alternatives like getting your brother to help. But if you have to go ahead with your decision, I believe you have a chance because you have approached it with a plan.

Jul 9, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Thank you very much. An apprenticeship, for me, is easy, because as I said, I have many connections. A family friend is one. And he is willing to apprentice me when I am 18. But I would sincerely like to thank you for all the help you have given me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

What is a high school [ 8 Answers ]

What is a high school

Kicked out of high school. [ 6 Answers ]

My best friend got kicked out of high school in his last year before he was going to graduate... it pretty clear that he is unable to graduate this year... but what could he do as an high school alternative if there is such a thing? Please help

High school biology [ 1 Answers ]

What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one that involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugar?

View more questions Search