Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonhandyman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Fleas
    Howdy folks, I have 3 dogs,a toy poodle,a jack russle/chiawawamix, and an 86 poubd chow dog.We have all the high dollar flea stuff, and can kill them on the dogs, but my question is... What can I do about killing them in the yard?? Is there a spray or some sort of poisen to kill these things in the yard.We bath the dogs every week, but they keep bringing them back in from the yard.
    Thanks in advance Joe C
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 03:55 PM
    My dad use to always use the good ole Seven's Dust, lol! Here is a website that look pretty helpful!
    Three Steps To Killing Fleas - Or Be Eaten Alive
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Are you sure it is fleas? Pull back the hair at the base of the tail. Do you see any dark reddish specks? If so, it is fleas whether you see any or not. If not, you may be causing the itching by too frequent bathing. It is not a very effective way to control fleas and may be removing whatever you are using. This is our fourth summer of having 2 dogs and using Revolution. So far, not a sign of a flea. I seldom bathe the dogs and haven't done anything except the Revolution. Of course, before that, when we only had one healthy young dog, we did very little and seldom had problems.

I would go to wherever you normally buy your lawn and garden supplies. Look over the insecticides finding something labeled to kill fleas and safe for pets. I think the last time I treated our yard, you could still buy Diaznone. You need something for in the house, and maybe the car too. I mostly used a hand spray bottle of Ovitrol from the vet. It kills the eggs as well as the adults. Spray the floor good and the bottom of the furniture. It is a bit of work, but so is sealing everything up, waiting for a bomb to work, and airing out the house. Safer too.

I didn't see anything very special about that site. A search seldom turns up the best dog info sites. Sevin isn't bad. I selected it last summer when I had to evict some miner bees from my church's playground. Cleared the Japanese beadles out of my willows too.
    DASCHUND Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
    [QUOTE=nonhandyman;492010]howdy folks, I have 3 dogs,a toy poodle,a jack russle/chiawawamix, and an 86 poubd chow dog.We have all the high dollar flea stuff, and can kill them on the dogs, but my question is... What can I do about killing them in the yard?? Is there a spray or some sort of poisen to kill these things in the yard.We bath the dogs every week, but they keep bringing them back in from the yard.
    Thanks in advance Joe C[/QUOTE

You can use the same flea spray that goes on dogs on the grass, just spay it right on the fleas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy has fleas [ 3 Answers ]

I have just brought home a seven week old puppy from a breeder and I have found fleas on her, with her being so young how will I treat them to get rid of them:)

Puppy with fleas [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought an 8 week old pomeranian. She has quite a few fleas. How can I get rid of the fleas? Every shampoo I saw said it was for 12 weeks and older. Are there any flea shampoos for puppies younger than 12 weeks?

My puppy has fleas [ 3 Answers ]

My 13 week old puppy has fleas very bad and I recently bought some flea shampoo from Wal-mart but after I gave him a bath in the exact instructed way on the bottle he still had tons on him. What do I need to do to get rid of them before my dog gets really sick?

Fleas [ 1 Answers ]

My female german shepherd got fleas during her pregnancy and we didn't think we could do anything about it but now all 11 pups have fleas also... what can we do about:confused: the puppies are 4 days old today. Thanks Martha

Fleas! [ 3 Answers ]

Home remedies for 12 week old beagle with fleas can't get rid of them. PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search