Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2004, 11:35 AM
    Internet Sharing Q
    Me again. So many questions, so little time :P

Anyway. Here's my existing setup. We have a network in our place. 2 PC's directly connected to a router, three connected to a switch upstairs. We use this tp access the internet. And all that works fine.

But my girlfriend is often using her laptop in my room, so what I want to be able to do is to plug her PC into mine (I have a spare network card) and let her connect to the internet. Now I've connected the two PC's together, but the internet connect is available on her's yet. Basically - what do I need to do to let her get the internet.

We're all on a workgroup (all MS machines) and her laptop is also set to this workgroup. Is this right? And if it matters, my PC is Win XP, her one is Win 98SE.

Just would like a few things to try as I'm not great with networks.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Mar 30, 2004, 01:31 PM
    Internet Sharing Q
    How are you setting up the connection from your computer to her laptop? If you are just using statc IP addresses, all you need to do is enter the IP address of your desktop into the default gateway and primary DNS server fields of the connection for her laptop.
    JonnyP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2004, 08:12 PM
    Re: Internet Sharing Q
    Not sure if you've solved this already. I'm only new to this.
    I've had problems working XP and 98SE together as well. Try changing from static IP to obtain automatically, also I think 98 needs internet connection sharing enabled if not already. And if you haven't tried it create a network disk(or something) in XP to run on other computers on the network. You do that when running the XP connection sharing wizard I think.

Well if you hadn't already thought of them, or fixed it already, I hope they help.
    Metamorphousthe Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2004, 05:25 PM
    Re: Internet Sharing Q
    I am not necessarily answering the 98se to xp issue which should not be a problem if ic sharing is turned on in your windows components set from your and remove programmes. But I will say that we have a SOHO with WinMe as a gateway using wingate for a proxy, I network my xp laptop to it as a client fine, and use linksys usb lan adapter so that my wife can share the network with her xp laptop through mine. My settings are normal with my ip number and gateway setting (I make sure that there is settings and not static), my wife setting's gateway has to be my ip (and computer name is you are using 98se or WinMe) I have to pay attention to my firewall for trusted zone settings so as not to block her pings, and check my internet options securities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet sharing on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Internet sharing - analog x proxy problem [ 1 Answers ]

hi, I'm having difficulty sharing Internet connection to my other PC using analog x proxy software. My type of internet connection is dial-up. I have 2 PCs at home. Computer A has pentium 4 cpu, winxp sp2 installed, hard disk partitioned in ntfs while computer b has a pentium celeron cpu,...

Wireless internet sharing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to set up a wireless LAN that connects two computers. I have a D-Link AirPLus G wireless router that connects to my ADSL modem. A D-Link wireless card on the laptop and a TP-Link wireless card on the desktop. I logged on to internet using my laptop first, and it worked, but then when I...

View more questions Search