Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buzmeg Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jul 5, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Closing rewriteable media
    How do you make a cd or dvd that is rewriteable "read only?"

I have some rewriteables that are nearly full and would like to preserve them by making them "read only" so the contents cannot be altered or accidentally destroyed.
    BenReilly Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

Jul 10, 2007, 12:51 AM
    I am not sure I know what you mean. In anything else but a DVD Recorder the CD/DVD's are always read only but if you looking for something like on VHS tapes where you break of the "nose" and it's not recordable anymore, its not possible with CD's and DVD's but if they are full somebody has to format them first before they can be rewritten. If you really want to make them read only so that nobody can alter them, buy a bunch of regular DVDR and make a 1:1 copy from you CD/DVD RW.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 12:55 AM
    I agree with the above, get some singlewrite CD/DVDs and copy the contents across. Then you can erase the expensive rewritable cd/dvds and use them again.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 12:59 AM
    All files on your CD-RW are read-only but making your CD-RW read-only I'm not sure whether that will work but you can make your CD drive read-only that way no one can write anything to CD's...

Jul 10, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BenReilly
    I am not sure I know what you mean. In anything else but a DVD Recorder the CD/DVD's are always read only but if you looking for something like on VHS tapes where you break of the "nose" and it's not recordable anymore, its not possible with CD's and DVD's but if they are full somebody has to format them first before they can be rewritten. If you really want to make them read only so that nobody can alter them, buy a bunch of regular DVDR and make a 1:1 copy from you CD/DVD RW.
    I use CD/RW and/or DVD/RW to backup files and folders on my PC. The media is always open and can be written to at will. I've had instances where some of the files became unreadable (for whatever reason) and I'm attempting to avoid this.

I'm certain there is a way to do this. I just haven't figured it out.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

Jul 10, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    All files on your CD-RW are read-only but making your CD-RW read-only I'm not sure whether that will work but you can make your CD drive read-only that way no one can write anything to CD's...
    This is not true. If they were read-only then you would defeat the purpose of RW, which means (read/write)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2007, 06:11 AM
    What burning software arer you using? There is usually an option to finalize a disk that may do what you want. But the idea to copy the files to a CD/R is an option.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buzmeg
    This is not true. If they were read-only then you would defeat the purpose of RW, which means (read/write)
    All files on CD are read only because you can't directly change content on the CD for example open a word file make changes and save it directly to your CD... Check your sources carefully

Jul 10, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Sorry, Benn, but if a CD/RW or DVD/RW are formated for packet switching, then they can be used as if they were a floppy or other rewriteable media. You can open a file, edit it and save it back to the disk.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Yes, you can copy the file from CD edit and write it back to CD but not on CD itself if you understand what I mean...

Jul 10, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What burning software arer you using? There is usually an option to finalize a disk that may do what you want. But the idea to copy the files to a CD/R is an option.
    I don't really use burning software per se. I format the RWs using InCD (Nero). Then I just copy files and or folders via Windows Explorer.

Some of the media is now full and I want to set the disc(s) to Read Only. Any suggestions other than copying the files to a CD-R or DVD-R?

Jul 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Not true. You can open the file directly from the disk, edit it and save it back to the disk. You do not need to copy the file to another media first. At least not manually. A RW disk needs to be formatted for RW usage. The utilitiy that formats it has to be on any PC you want to use the disk with. Otherwise you won't be able to read it another disk. But such a disk will appear to the user as if its just another drive letter and can be used just like any regular drive.

Jul 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buzmeg
    I don't really use burning software per se. I format the RWs using InCD (Nero). Then I just copy files and or folders via Windows Explorer.

Some of the media is now full and I want to set the disc(s) to Read Only. Any suggestions other than copying the files to a CD-R or DVD-R?
    Then you are using Nero. Use Nero to finalize the CD. I'm not that familiar with Nero so I'm not sure the exact process.

Jul 10, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    Yes, you can copy the file from CD edit and write it back to CD but not on CD itself if you understand what I mean...
    benn11, you are 100% incorrect with your assertions. I do, what you say is impossible, all the time.

Once an RW (CD or DVD) is properly formatted it becomes just another disc to the OS. In essence it looks just like a very large floppy disc. Rremember those?

Jul 10, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Then you are using Nero. Use Nero to finalize the CD. I'm not that familiar with Nero so I'm not sure the exact process.
    Actually, not. I don't have the full Nero installed. I only use InCD, which is a subset of Nero. It can be installed and run as a standalone program.

Jul 10, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Either the option is in InCD or you need the full version of Nero.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Scottgem is right. If you finalize the cdrw, it cannot be written to anymore, but it can still be fully erased.

I believe what everyone else is talking about, is Packetwriting, where a CDRW is made to behave as a giant floppy. InCD is one version of packet-writing. There are a few other packet-writing technologies for the various drive manufacturer's too.

Mount Rainer is probably the most promising of the packet-writing technology.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Media State. :media disconnected [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My computer won't connect to the internet it says that a newtwork cable is unplugged although the internet works perfectly well. I tried cmd config /renew and it says the same thing. Does anyone know why my computer won't connect to the internet?

Lexplore closing [ 2 Answers ]

I keep get "lexplore has caused an error in MSHTML.DLL. Lexplore will now close

Closing programs [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using a compaq computer, running windows xpsp2 and using IE. Do I have to disable windows fire wall before installing zonealarm fire wall?

Media State... Media Disconnected [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have two different internet connections. One, my roommates and I pay for to run torrents, online games, etc. The other is my complex's internet connection which sucks at anything but is used when roommates are sleeping and they are using torrents. My roommate tends to download...

Closing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my question is how long can I stay in my house after the closing I will need to make arguments to travel to my new house in another stats I waiting on the money I get from the closing to move basically thanks again Janet

View more questions Search