Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abell Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2005, 03:23 PM
    Mower won't start.
    All,
    I was working on the wiring on my mower, because a white wire was disconnected. It smoked from the flywheel area. I thought it was the coil, replaced that. It still doesn't start. It will turn over continually no problem. Just doesn't fire up.

Could it be a switch, wiring, any ideas?

Here's the specs on the mower:
    1982 Dixen Zeeter 424
    Zero turn radious
    Briggs & Stratton Engine 10HP (I believe)

Thank you,
    Pat
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2005, 09:24 PM
    Not sure on the wiring, but did this wire go to the coil? The old one was most likely still good. But a wire, like say if it was the kill wire touches any open metal, it will ground and you won't get anything. But that white wire sounds familiar, could it be one right around the starter perhaps?

Jul 3, 2005, 08:30 AM
    The white wire didn't go to the coil. (I don't think, definitely not directly.) It comes out the back through a wiring harness. It is close to the starter area. Before it was just taped up & not used. I went from a point system coil to one that doesn't use points, I was told it didn't need the wire that goes back under the flywheel. (Not sure if that helps?) I will look at the wiring again to see if there are any grounding points. It turns over great, just doesn't kick in. Frustrating... Would anyone have a wiring diagram of this mower/motor? Or is there a simple way to bypass where some wires may be grounding out?

One more thing, I bypassed my seat sensor by wiring the two wires directly. Is that OK? I didn't think that would affect this?

Could this white wire be needed with this different type of coil?

Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2005, 06:17 PM
    Well, a magnetron coil, is one wire hookup, mostly... just one wire to it for kill, spark plug wire to the plug, you could if you did hook the kill wire back up, and unhook it, then try. If it starts its grounding somewhere... to shut it off you'll have to pop the plug wire off to cut it off, I don't recommend by hand :D... if it doesn't, since I'm not sure of the wiring for it, it may need that wire... I do know it should have one fuse wire on older ones, and one wire from the alternator that's located under the flywheel. That may be the wire... for the alternator. Oh and points type coils, they have about 3 wires or, one for points, one for kill, and of course the spark plug. Also, I think the older ones must need a conversion kit. Though I've never tried it.

Jul 4, 2005, 08:59 AM
    I'll try removing the wire & let you know. Thank you.

Jul 5, 2005, 05:31 PM
    It worked! Now with that said, it was only temporary. It ran for a while, it seemed hot. I even seen a flame in the muffler when I shut it off the first time. At first it was starting to die when I was turning & going up hills. Then it wouldn't start up again after about 20 minutes. I think I need to try & find a wiring blueprint of this to check everything... Any thoughts? Once again Thank you for your time & effort.

Pat
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2005, 06:30 PM
    Well, solid state/magnetron ignitions deliver a much hotter spark, make sure your plug is the right heat range, and gap --> ( .30 ) , mags I gap with a dollar bill. Oh and does it start and run great and cut off and not start till it cools? There is such a thing as bad "new" coils. They are mass produced. Though a small engine shop can test them, they should do it for free or for little to nothing. Or at least exchange it for a good one if you got it from them.

Jul 6, 2005, 08:54 PM
    I will check it out. Thank you.
    tezza_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 06:41 PM
    My lawnmower will not start,I have cleaned the filter and the spark plug . Can you tell me what the problem might be ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Well I need more info, what brand engine and horse power? Was this a oiled foam air filter, or paper? If it wasn't a oiled foam and was a paper, wouldn't work cleaning it, needs replacing, now for the spark plug though, try a new one gapped at .30, simple a cheap to try, nothing? Does the plug get wet with gas after trying a lot? No? Then try gas or starting fluid down the carb, starts? Well you have a fuel delivery problem ( clogged tank, or fuel line, or trash/gumed gas in the carb) if it doesn't start, test for spark, take the plug out, hook it back up, turn the engine over by the starter or pull start ( helps with some help) and ground the plug to the head around the threads of the plug, and check for a good strong spark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd mower won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I just bought a used riding lawn mower. It had started fine each time I went to look at it. Looks like it was been treated well although quite dusty. I was told that it was used very little in the last few years. It is a MTD 16.5hp riding mower. So I brought it home today and mowed the front...

Mtd yardman 16.5hp mower will not start [ 41 Answers ]

I just brought home a used, but in very good shape, MTD yardman mower. It has the 16.5 hp Briggs mower with the 7-speed shift on the go tranny. It also is the industrial/commercial model. For some reason, the thing will not crank. The engine will spin and gas will go to the carb, but it acts...

MTD Mower Won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 42" MTD Lawn Tractor, I think it is a model 682. I try to start it and nothing, I just ran it last week and it was fine. Could the battery have died that quickly? What should I replace/check? Could the ignition switch have corroded and died? Is there a way to bypass it and check? I'm...

Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Bolens 4.5 mower probably less than 2 yrs old. I've checked the fire from the coil and I have consistent fire, I can hear the compression. I just need to know how I inspect this carb to see if it needs rebuilding. Also where would I get the rebuild kit. Any help would be appreciated as...

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

View more questions Search