Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mannie79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2005, 02:13 PM
    Access to shut off valves
    Does anyone know if there is a code in sarasota fl that says you must have access to shut off valves in your tubs and if so what is that code and where can I get a copy. Thank you[ Manny
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2005, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannie79
    Does anyone know if there is a code in sarasota fl that says you must have access to shut off valves in your tubs and if so what is that code and where can I get a copy. thank you[ Manny
    Hey Manny,

I was one of Arrow Plumbings foreman in Sarasota for years. Still live on Tamiami Trail North.
    Some older homes were not built with shutoffs but for the last 30 or 35 years we have installed angle stops and shut offs on ALL the fixtures we install.
    You asked about tub shutoffs. As a rule we installed them in a access hole located behind the front of the tub. However some tub and shower valves come equipped with integral,(screwdriver) stops. To get to these you must remove the handle and the cover plate. The stops will be found on each side where the supplies connect to the valve. They won't have a knob but a slot so they can be turned off and on with a screwdriver.
    We work under The Standard Plumbing Code which states in Chapter 12, section 1211.3, " Each individual fixture shall have a shut-off valve which will permit each fixture to be shut off without interfering with the water supply to any other fixtures." Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Hose Valves [ 10 Answers ]

There are two 20 year old hose valves outside the house. Both leak, and one even has a busted handle that requires a vise grip every time we want to open and close the water flow. I would like to replace both without the expense of hiring a plumber. I think this is a job that even I can do.. ....

Plumbing Valves? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a home and the builder ask me to pick out showerheads and faucets. I started to see that the showerheads says Transfer valve and/or thermostatic valve and/or volume valve was used. I'm not sure what these are and if I need them or not. Can someone please explain?...

Heat traps vs check valves [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a check valve on the cold water inlet side of my water heater (it's a Voyager 100,000 BTU, combi heater-domestic and radiant heat). I am getting convective heat tranfer in the cold water line. I'm assuming the check valve (spring type) is not designed to prevent heat transfer. Are...

Zone valves [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a wiring diagram for a new dunkirk boiler . Just the diagram for the 3 zone valves. Company says that the boiler transformer is enough to run three zones ( 24v) . Or do I need to add transformer. Just can't figure out the wiring from one zone valve to another. Contacts on each zone are...

Leaky Shut off valves [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open. I noticed they have nuts on the front... was I supposed to...

View more questions Search