Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noboat Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Prostate diagnosis
    I recently had a needle biopsy of the prostate, my physician told me no cancer was detected, just benign enlargement. She also made the statement "that doesn't mean you don't have cancer" would someone please elaborate on what that means? Thks noboat
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Noboat:

Presumably you had a biopsy of a prostate nodule.
    It was benign, meaning no cancer.

Benign prostatic hypertrophy is very common especially the older a man gets.

The needle biopsy cannot rule out cancer in othe areas of the prostate that were not biopsied, and this does not mean you have no possibility of developing prostate cancer in the future.

You should have a psa [prostate specific antigen] blood test at least every year and more often if it is elevated. This is a very effective method of prostate cancer screening.

Grace and Peace
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 7, 2008, 10:31 AM
    I will add that normal PSA levels are 4.0 but has you get older the levels will rise.There is a chart somewhere online you can look up to see what your PSA levels should be at for your age group

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prostate? [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean if a guy gets a shooting pain in his anus when he ejaculates? I've reassured my friend that it's probably just a reaction in her boyfriend's prostate but I thought someone on here may be able to shed some more light on it!

Fault Diagnosis [ 3 Answers ]

I have some questions here on fault diagnosis. Can anyone give me some tips on how to answer them.

5 Year of No Diagnosis - STD? [ 1 Answers ]

Hopefully someone will have some thoughts on what I should do next - please. I am 25 years old... About 5 years ago a girl, I did not know very well (stupid!), gave me oral. After, I noticed there was a small cut on the tip of my penis... must have been caused by her teeth? Obviously this was a...

View more questions Search