Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dowdaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
    91 acura integra ls battery drain?
    I have a 91 acura integra ls. It runs great and everything functions basically very good. But one day my battery died and I bought a new one. Then after about 3 days the new one died. I was thinking it was the alternator. We used a test light on the battery to see if there was any type of drain on the battery, and it seemed as if the auto seatbelts were causing a drain. We took the fuse out for that and the light turned off. So we thought it was fixed. I drove it around and it seemed to recharge the battery. I cut it off after driving and then tried to crank it and it cranked right up. Then after letting it idle with the radio on, the battery died again. We can't seem to figure out the problem. We hope to find another solution before replacing the alternator because its in a very hard place and it'll be a good 150 plus labor. Any suggestion? Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 06:54 AM
    . Check all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Many auto parts stores will check alternators for free.
    . If the alternator checks out okay and the problem persists, the problem may reside within the ECM. The alternator control system, within the ECM, changes the voltage generated at the alternator in accordance with driving conditions.

I suspect the voltage regulator is bad and you need to replace the alternator.
    korn6958 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dowdaddy
    I have a 91 acura integra ls. It runs great and everything functions basically very good. But one day my battery died and i bought a new one. then after about 3 days the new one died. i was thinking it was the alternator. we used a test light on the battery to see if there was any type of drain on the battery, and it seemed as if the auto seatbelts were causing a drain. we took the fuse out for that and the light turned off. so we thought it was fixed. i drove it around and it seemed to recharge the battery. i cut it off after driving and then tried to crank it and it cranked right up. then after letting it idle with the radio on, the battery died again. we can't seem to figure out the problem. we hope to find another solution before replacing the alternator because its in a very hard place and it'll be a good 150 plus labor. any suggestion? Thanks!
    Is the terminals on the battery tight or do u have any aftermarket things on your vechile if not dissconnect the negative cable and run a meter between the cable and the battery and look for voltage when the vechile is off if so start pulling fuses till its gone then you'll find your rpoblem but what I've found on those cars is the radio or aftermarket light or the fan
    dowdaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 03:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by korn6958
    is the terminals on the battery tight or do u have any aftermarket things on your vechile if not dissconnect the negative cable and run a meter between the cable and the battery and look for voltage when the vechile is off if so start pulling fuses till its gone then youll find your rpoblem but what ive found on those cars is the radio or aftermarket light or the fan

What were you saying about the radio or the fan? I replaced the alternator and now I can crank the car. But now my cd player/radio will not power on. I don't know why. And I have been noticing that the cooling fan runs a long time after I cut off my car. That has to be draining the battery.
    korn6958 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dowdaddy
    What were you saying about the radio or the fan? I replaced the alternator and now i can crank the car. But now my cd player/radio will not power on. i dont know why. and i have been noticing that the cooling fan runs a long time after i cut off my car. that has to be draining the battery.
    The fans stay on for at least 2 to 3inutes after u shut off the vechile to cool the engine down but if they stay on longer that could be your draw and your radio if its aftermarket check the fuse in the back or in the fuse panel or check to make shure the red,black,and yellow wires are connected if aftermarket on the radio if that's all good the radio coud be bad
    apart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Hi,
    I have a very similar problem, after driving 300 miles I parked the car and next day when I started the AC the batt lamp went on, but only for a couple of seconds. That repeated a couple of times and when I was coming back home from the weekend my lights started dimming and eventually the car died. I towed it to pepboys they replaced the alternator with an aftermarket part and I was able to drive it back home, but without AC or lights because turning those on would cause the alternator to stop charging (they actually put 2 alternators). Then I took it to a honda shop and they told me to replace the alternator with an OEM part, so I did, although with a used one. Still the problem persists. Since I have 2 other issues - oil leak from the valve cover gasket and radiator leak - I thought it might be a short circuit somewhere in there, but the honda shop told me they ran a full electrical check and found nothing... I don't think I believe them though. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Duende Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
    I had the same problem with my 92 acura rs and it was the alternator in the end. But check the points inside and re sand them to make sure the connections are good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No spark, acura integra 95 non-vtec [ 3 Answers ]

I have been going crazy checking everything possible, when I try to start my car a check engine light comes on. It is code 15 which is ignition output signal. The engine cranks and the fuel pump primes. I checked my coil for resistance and voltage and it passed. I tested the ICM (igniter) for...

Acura Integra Common Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I own 2 1992 Acura Integra's. My first is semi retired with 278,000 miles (purchased with 45000) with very few problems so I bought a seldom used one(showroom shape) 9 months ago with low miles (now 116,000). They both have similar annoying problems living in the Northeast. When the weather drops...

View more questions Search