Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jun 30, 2005, 10:49 AM
    USB Adaptor in PS/2 Port
    Hello,

I have a Fujitsu laptop running Win 98SE and it does not have any USB ports. I have this adaptor that allows me to convert a PS/2 port into a USB port for plugging USB peripherals in. I've run hardware scans, restarted the computer, etc. and I can't get it to recognize the USB adaptor or anything that is plugged into it. How can a make it recognize the adaptor so I can plug my wireless network thing into it?

I know the real answer is just buy a new laptop, cause this one sucks, but I don't really have the money, so I'm trying to make what I have work. Thanks for the help.

Zach
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2005, 11:25 AM
    It's possible that the wireless adapter requires the drivers to work and the drivers are looking for a USB port (or a comm port, maybe USB to serial would be more successful though I'm not sure those adapters exist). Comm device drivers wouldn't normally be looking at a PS/2 port.

Jun 30, 2005, 11:37 AM
    Yeah I have to find the CD or drivers for it, so maybe that will work. I know that there are serial USB adaptors, I just don't have any at the moment, but yes I have worked with those before and they work pretty well. Thanks for the quick response I'll let you know how things turn out.

Zach
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2005, 12:52 PM
    If your laptop has a open PCMCIA slot you can get a USB card for it.

Jun 30, 2005, 01:06 PM
    Hello and thanks very much - it does in fact have an open PCMCIA slot and cards are going for one cent on eBay so I think that would probably be the best thing to do. Thanks for everyone's help.

Zach
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2005, 05:35 AM
    Usb
    Hi,
    I'm very glad you found a solution to the issue.
    As you stated, it is often difficult to get a USB devise to work using the adapter.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 1, 2005, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I'm very glad you found a solution to the issue.
    As you stated, it is often difficult to get a USB devise to work using the adapter.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Fred,
    It seems you are blowing your second chance by going against the guidelines I suggested. Why did you post here? You did not previously post to offer a solution. The only possible reason to post is to pump up your count and gain some attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modem com port 4 [ 4 Answers ]

I have come across this problem a few times but can never remember how I fixed it. My modem is installing on COM port 4, I only have COM port 1 and 2. I have NO resource conflicts, have uninstalled and reinstalled many times with the same result. Thanks Dan

AC Adaptor for Nano [ 3 Answers ]

I have just purchased an AC adapter for Apple Nano 2GB. The ac adaptor has following specifications; Ac input 90-260V Output 4.9V to 11V DC I am not sure should I connect it with my Nano or not. Nano can be charged with USB port which gives 5V DC but the new adaptor says 4.9V to 11V....

View more questions Search